Mar 7, 2008

Feature Mom - Cindy Watson

My name is Cindy. I’m a mother and a writer.

It took me a long time to be able to admit to the latter without feeling like I was pulling the wool over someone’s eyes – to say it and truly mean it. Telling people you’re a writer can be a scary thing, especially if you’re unpublished. It’s like you’re admitting a dirty little secret. Until you have a book on your name with it, it can feel as though you aren’t truly a writer. I was a journalist for a number of years and continue to write some freelance, so I’ve had articles in print. But having a book published would mean so much more.

I’ve been writing stories for as long as I can remember. When I was in the fourth grade, I attended a Young Author’s Conference with my bound, laminated and fully illustrated tale of love and betrayal in hand. (My mom was my publisher.) While other kids were outside playing, I was curled up on my bed with either a book or a binder of loose leaf paper, writing away. When my grandparents wanted to get rid of their ancient typewriter, I volunteered to take it. I used it to type out manuscripts and I still do to this day.

As I got older it became harder to find the time to write. I never seemed to follow the sacred rule of writers: ABC. Apply Butt to Chair. I would think about writing, but never get down to it. Or I would start something and then get busy and forget about it. If I’m being honest, most of the time I just wasn’t motivated.

Then in May 2007, my daughter was born. With that, my passion was reignited.

I’ll admit I still don’t write as often as I’d like or should, but it really hit me that this was the one thing I truly loved to do. I want my daughter to follow her dreams and do whatever makes her happy, but she needs to see it to live it herself. So, every day during her nap time, I sit in front of the computer and get some writing done. Some days it’s five pages, some days it’s only a few paragraphs, but the point is I’m doing it. I know the ideas in my head are not going to write themselves, so I can’t look for time to do it – I need to make the time to do it.

Documenting my daughter’s life is another thing I’m passionate about. I began to create albums with photos, journaling my thoughts and ideas. This has now become a business venture, as I recently signed on to be an Independent Consultant for Creative Memories. Now I can help other people tell their stories, and watch that passion spread. (Visit my page at https://www.mycmsite.com/sites/cwatson to find out more.)

My daughter’s birth triggered something else – an introduction to children’s books. I read to my daughter a lot, and I began to make up my own stories and rhymes for her. So far I’ve completed two picture/board book manuscripts that are looking for a home.

The other thing my daughter has taught me: to accept what life dishes out and know it will all work out in the end. Even if my stories never get published, I know I created them and that my beautiful little girl was the inspiration.

For more about me, or to contact me, please visit my blog at http://www.cindywatson.blogspot.com/

______________________________________________________________


Thanks Cindy! I'm so happy to have your insight here. I was also reluctant to label myself as a writer. Sometimes it still feels like I'm just pretending to be one. I can't wait to see what the ABC rule produces for you - If it's anything like what I've seen so far, I'm sure you'll know success.


H



9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

how intersting, the word verification has "mom" in it.

I enjoyed this. Good luck to Cindy with all her plans. I wish her well. I'll check her blog out.

Stacy said...

I can't wait to read some of Cindy's writings!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing the journeys that life takes one on when they least expect it. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful message of pursuing your dreams and finding the inspiration that will motivate you to do so. Well written Cindy.

Anonymous said...

Cindy Watson,
I think most of us know the place.

Writing for thirty years. Had this huge technology lag; couldn't get out of yellow pads.
Son finally got me a computer.

Wow. So this is where I was going!

In the beginning, there was Word!

Tried doing everything on Word.

@#$%^&%$!
Hell with it. Now I do everything-- blogs and fiction and all-- on email, and then copy and paste.

My toddlers all grown up now.
Oh, all you mothers. Wait till Baby starts trundling around.
My son Stephen used to waddle around me at my desk... Pulling the paper out of my typewriter.
"Just one hour, Stevie. Just one more hour."
Freelance writing and parenthood.
Kind of a hard way to go, but it's a reality for most of us.

Heather said...

Charles: Cool about the word verification....you likely got the last one. I've set it back to allow annon comments. Glad you liked the post and as always, thanks for coming by.

Stacy: So good to see you! Cindy has mucho talent.

EA: Good to see you, I hope you like what you find.

Tricia: As a new Mom, I feel it is important to maintain what makes me , me. Cindy seems to share the same sentiment with her message. She put it eloquently too :)

Ivan: You and your computer issues make me smile. Is that wrong? That's a nice image you shared, you and your boy. Can't wait 'till Hannah is at that stage....well, maybe I can ;)

Anonymous said...

Cindy--your childhood sounded a lot like mine! It was not unusual for me to be reading 3 or 4 books at one time! I love to write, however my passion has now become teaching children to write...we are currently working on those author's faire books you wrote about! Great job Cindy, can't wait to read more from you!

kimber said...

The first time someone introduced me as A Writer (cue the music), my heart hitched in my chest and my breath caught in my throat. Why dp we feel uncomfortable with that label, when all signs point so clearly to its natural application? :)

I look forward to reading more of your writing!

Anonymous said...

Kimber.
Hi. Talended woman.
Of late, I have stopped introducing myslelf aa a writer.
I just say, "I'm a pig farmer."
This raises eyebrows and brings papparazzi.
Hey, you gotta have an angle.