May 5, 2008

Query Quandry

Faces of mother and child; detail of sculpture at Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois, USA.Image via WikipediaI wrote last week how I'm working on a query letter for a magazine article idea I have. The process is proving to drain my brain. I know what I want to say but putting it all together in a way that sells an idea is a bit tougher than I realized. So, I'm still working on that - as I said before, I want it to be perfect.

On the blogging front, I've been trying my hand at monetizing. You can tell from the Amazon widgets, a few text ads (at the bottom) and some sponsor ads. I don't think I'll ever get rich from Maternal Spark - and that isn't my intention. Maternal Spark is about showcasing creative moms and providing support for balancing the mommy life with the creative one.

So when I found services that pay you to blog, I did some serious thinking. One of the services sends you links that you are to use in your blog posts. They paid $10 per post. I thought about it, and then decided against it. The money wouldn't be enough to change the fact that I'm going back to work in June, it would only serve to change the content of this blog and I didn't want to put the integrity of this blog in question for a few bucks.

There are, however, plenty of Mommy blogs who do paid work. Good on them, for finding a way to maintain the focus of their blog and make some cash too.

I think I will better focus my efforts on increasing readership. That's going to take time. One thing I have in mind to jump my visibility will be to host a giveaway. Watch for the announcement, you won't want to miss it!

Like this post? Subscribe and get them via email!

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I like them give aways, but if it's a baby I'll have to pass. lol.

Danielle said...

I am also trying to incraese my readership- but I think I am just boring! haha. I gave you some bling on my site and tagged you for a meme.

Anonymous said...

Keep writing, just keep writing! $$ and all else will follow...
Warmly,
luluvillage.

Heather said...

Charles - nope, not a baby....but there will be many cute baby like things in there :)

danielle - You're far from boring, I've enjoyed your posts!

lulu - Great advice, think I'll take it :)

meno said...

Thank you for not doing pay-for-posts. Those will cause me to stop reading a blog.