May 26, 2008

What about the unfinished ones?

Every artist has them. The project you started last year, worked on for a week and then tossed aside like an unworthy piece of garbage. Mine is a cross stitch piece featuring zoo animals and a spot to embroider the new babies name. I started it in the last trimester of my pregnancy when I was feeling too stupid to manage writing, or even reading a book - man those hormones do weird things to a woman's brain during pregnancy!

I got about 25% of it done and then little H arrived. One year later, it hasn't been touched. I don't even really know where it is....I think it's in my office somewhere but I went to snap a pic to share here and couldn't find it. I really want to finish it. Or maybe it's the idea of finishing it that I like. The truth is, cross stitch has never been a passion for me, I enjoy it, but when time is limited I choose to spend it on something else.

What projects do you have lying around that don't have a hope in hell of being finished? How long have they been abandoned? This post is to remind you that they are there - stashed in your closets and to encourage you to think about them. Do you want to finish that knitting pattern? That painting? That polymer clay poodle??? If you do, dig it out and get back at it! If you don't, put it out of it's misery. Toss it out and make room for something else. Just make sure that something else is something you want to finish.

Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what I'm working on today! lol!! So far, I've gathered 14 different projects..all in different stages. So far, I really do want to complete them all...well, there is one that is debatable! lol!!

Charles Gramlich said...

All I have unfinished is stories and naps. I'm going to get right on that last one in a few minutes.

Petula said...

Well, all of my unfinished projects are writing related. Maybe it would free up a little mental clutter to just toss them out. I bought myself an art kit last year for my birthday (in September) and haven't dampened a brush or drew a line. I really want to do it but feel guilty for spending time doing something that's just for fun and relaxation.

BTW: Thanks for "dropping" by.

Danielle said...

I bought stuff to make potato print onesies. I made one- hated it- and quit. All of the materials are still sitting in my dining room.

Heather said...

Jenny - 14! Wow, good luck in conquering them :)

Charles - mmmmmm a nap sounds heavenly.

Petula - fun and relaxation are IMPORTANT things to the creative mind. You are so justified in indulging in your art kit. Have fun!

Danielle - hmmmm I wonder what else you could make.....potato print underwear for father's day maybe lol!

Anonymous said...

Seems to get worse as you get older--but you don't have to worry about that!

It has always been my conviction that successful people finish things.
So I always finished my writing projects (But then I'd wished I hadn't--the publishers didn't think I'd finished. Once a work is accepted, your are in fact half-finished, because there is so much editorial cleanup to do).
But lately, I have turned one of my novels into a play.

Great going till halway through.

Crikey. I was suddenly in the middle of a Sam Robers song: "Stuck in the middle with you."

Still stuck in the middle.

But I hear this new song by the Queen of the Stone Age:
I wana make it
I wanna make it
I wanna make it witchoo.

Tha manuscript, that is.

It's all right to spew out words. But for the stage, you have to set up scenes, place people.

Well, I'm going to give it another shot.

Hard going.

Mick Jagger:

I can't get no...

Over The Top Aprons said...

Good advice; I am afraid that all of us have some unfinished projects - I like that, finish or toss!

Juliana said...

Hi,

I am running You and Your children tag.

Hope you can join with me.

Regards,
Juliana RW
From Juliana‘s Site & Picturing of Life

Anonymous said...

I started a cross-stitch wedding sampler 2 years ago for my DD & her then boyfriend. Before I knew it, they were engaged, married & now grandkiddo #2 is on the way. I doubt I'll ever finish it..and I bought industrial hi-tech magnifying goggles to do it too (for real) so I could see! Perhaps you will inspire me to get going again..but then my blogging will suffer! What to do?
Cindi @ Moomettesgram's Musings & Mama Mentor Blog