Jun 27, 2008

Featured Mom - Dani of Loopdiloops Baby Gear

Today's featured mom has been sewing since she was 8 years old. In July of last year she had her first daughter and her desire to design and create exploded. Now she makes the most incredible haute couture dresses I've ever seen! She also has a practical side and is big into babywearing - so much so that she's producing fanciful pouch slings in custom fabrics.
H: Tell me about what you make.

D: My favourite things to create are formal dresses. I love the design process, letting the fabric create itself, just draping fabric over a model and going from there. I also enjoy creating useful things, for myself and others, that’s why I got into babywearing. There are so many baby products out there, but not many that compliment individual style!
H: How did you get started on Etsy?

D: I kept getting the “you should sell those” from all kinds of people, so I thought, what the heck it’s worth a try! Maybe I won’t have to go back to work after maternity leave if it goes well enough!!

H: Are you finding success?

D: That depends on how you define success. I am quite a ways off from becoming a millionaire if that’s what it takes. But I would say I’m successful if success means having a balance in life where I can spend time with my beautiful daughter and supportive husband, while doing the things I love to do!

H: Were you creative before you had children?

D: Yes, but having a child definitely changes any perspective thoughts or beliefs you had before having one! You look at life from a completely different perspective, and that I think adds to your creativity. Being a mother is a crash course at ‘thinking outside the box’ in my opinion.

H: Have your methods changed?

D: I am constantly trying to improve on the products I’ve got. There are a lot of factors to consider, and there are always ways to improve. Comfort is a big one, style definitely counts, and versatility. I love to find better ways to do things.

H: How do you find time to stay creative?

D: Time? What’s that! I’m just constantly on my toes, it keeps life exciting, and in turn helps me create things that make my life easier!

H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art)

D: I’ve learned to put my daughter first, she needs to spend time with me, and after that is fulfilled, then it’s time to create. She loves to “help”! She gets to play with all kinds of fabric and ribbons while I’m sewing so she feels included in the process.

Thanks so much for joining me at Maternal Spark Dani. Everyone go check out Dani's incredible designs, they are some serious eye candy. She can be found on Etsy at http://loopdiloops.etsy.com and her blog is http://loopdiloops.blogspot.com.

Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

10 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sweet pictures. That outfit at top is lovely.

Anonymous said...

The dress in that photo is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love the dress, too. What talent! Thanks for spotlighting her.

Petula said...

That dress is gorgeous! How wonderfully creative.

Anonymous said...

Aw.

Danielle said...

Her slings are so nice. There is one I want so bad. Thanks for featuring this awesome mom.

DJ said...

Every time I see a beautiful dress like that I wish I had a little girl! Great post!

' said...

I've seen her dresses on Etsy and I love them! Of course, I cringe at the idea of my little girl wearing it... and running for a mud puddle :)

clockworkpink2 said...

My sister would love that pouch sling. She just had a baby and has been wanting one.

danette said...

that dress is beautiful!!