
Today's featured mom has been creating for 'as long as she remembers' and took her passions towards an online business in February of this year. Now she sells her whimsical children's items on Etsy.com.
H: Tell me about the items you make?
S: I make felt pillow covers for children’s rooms and little felt purses for kids in different shapes like ladybugs and cupcakes. The felt pieces on the pillow covers are appliquéd by hand and the purses are done completely by hand. I have a couple of items with finger puppets that go either with a purse or pillow. I sew appliqués for baby onesies out of wool felt and cotton. I embroider the wool felt onto a cotton fabric patch, lightly fuse it to the onesie and then sew it for extra durability. These things are found in my online store but for myself I also like to make cards, draw and paint, build things and sew for my home and kids.
H: Describe your creative process.
S: I try to get ideas anywhere I can. When an idea comes to me, I either write it down or sketch it out. When I have more time, I can do more sketches until I am happy with one. I usually think of colours as I am sketching or when I think of the image to begin with.
For the onesies, I go through the same process for the image, but then I scour through my fabrics or the local fabric shop for background options.
H: Were you creative before you had children?
S: I have always loved to be creative. Before I had kids, I drew and painted with watercolours a lot more. While I was in University, I taught art classes to kids at a community centre. When I was in middle school, we had to choose art or band. I chose band, but I used to do pictures for the art teacher and she would post them on her wall. A bit geeky….yes.
S: My methods have changed because I didn’t know how to embroider until recently and I had not worked with felt very much either. After I had kids, I wanted to make things that were “kid related”.
H: How do you find time to stay creative?
S: It is easy and hard all at the same time. There are periods of time where my logical and practical mind takes over and pushes the creative mind to the side. All I can think about are the things that need to be done around the home and such. I have to consciously push all that out of the way to make room for creativity. Playing with my kids and seeing things through their eyes certainly helps.
H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?
S: Both my kids like to draw and do crafts. We both work at the dining room table, but their art tends to take over the space quite often.
H: What have you learned after having your kids? (in relation to your art)
S: I have learned the importance of making time to do the things that you love. When I was single I took that time for granted, but now that it is harder to come by it has become more important to me.
H: What do you feel makes you successful and are you finding success?
S: In my work, I feel successful when I get a sale, if someone compliments my work or when I complete a piece that I love.
In life, I already feel successful because I have a wonderful family and a great group of friends. What more could you ask for?
Visit Susan's Etsy shop at – www.kiddlebug.etsy.com And she Blogs too – "Thoughts from a Crafty Mom can be found here www.kiddlebug.blogspot.com
Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!









1 comment:
Very nice Featured on Susan. Her work is very cute; what little girl would not want a cute pillow or purse.Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment