Oct 17, 2008

Featured Mom - Melissa of Shezarealgem Designs - incl Giveaway!

Today's featured mom has taken her craft and hobby of four years to a more professional level. Her jewelry business has been up and running for nearly a year now and Melissa takes many of her inspirations from nature.

H: Tell me about your craft.

M: My jewelry consists of a lot of re-purposed vintage pieces, copper and silver work, natural stones, and bold, bright color. I love to make colorful, chunky pieces as well as some more subdued, feminine things.

My creative process is pretty unorganized and haphazard to be honest! I always carry a journal in my purse to scribble designs or ideas. Sometimes I wake up during the middle of the night with a vision for a piece and must get up and sketch it out for fear that I'll forget it come morning!

H: How did you get started? Are you finding success?

M: I started when I was pregnant with my daughter. I wasn't working at the time and was so bored. I needed to find a hobby to keep myself busy. I love jewelry so it was a simple decision.

I am more successful than I had imagined at that time but less than I wish! Actually, I am quite pleased with my success and I have never felt so validated as I do making money doing something that I love.

H: Were you creative before you had children?

M: Yes, I have always been a creative being. I used to love to design the homecoming floats in highschool and revamp vintage clothes. I was the head of the arts and crafts division of our town's summer camp for 5 years while I was going to school. I'm always thinking of something to make!

H: Have your methods changed?

M: YES! I am older and wiser now! I work with more expensive materials and I use proper tools. I am teaching myself beginning metalsmithing and making many of my own findings for my designs instead of purchasing them.

H: How do you find time to stay creative?

M: I'm not sure, most days are a blur! I'm a mommy of two small children. My daughter Audrey just turned 4 in May and my son Dane is 20 months. I am married to a great guy that works nights so we are like two ships passing in the night. I work part time for the local court system 20 hours a week. I have basically cut out all housework in order to design. My husband loves that....

H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?

M: My 4 year old loves to design jewelry and has made some really cool, wearable pieces! My son is very musical and loves to play daddy's guitar and make music with anything that he can get his grubby little hands on.

H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art)

M: Having children has taught me to take chances in my creative life. Children are such great artists because they are not afraid of failure, they don't care that ducks aren't blue. If they want to make a blue duck they do, and they think it is great. I try to be true to myself like that, I design what I love and just won't compromise to sell more or appeal to a larger audience.

Melissa has generously offered this pair of lovely earrings up as a giveaway item! To win, go to her Etsy shop and pick out your favorite item. Come back here and leave a comment to let us know what it was. Be sure to leave your email address too so we can contact you should you be the lucky winner.

On top of that, anything you purchase between now and Oct 24th will be available with FREE SHIPPING. Just leave a comment in the note to seller box that reads "Maternal Spark". She'll send you a revised invoice for the sale amount.

Thanks for joining me Melissa, it was a pleasure having you at Maternal Spark!

Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

153 comments:

Mary512 said...

I love the Cotton Candy Bracelet. Great giveaway, thanks!

Mary512 said...

oops forgot my email hellomary018 at yahoo dot com

windycindy said...

What lovely nature inspired jewelry! She has many creations that I really like. One of my favorites is "Radiance!" Please enter me in your fun drawing. Many thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Amy said...

I love so many of these peices - like the decadance earrings and autumn harmony pieces, but the romantic in me adores the key and the accompanying story which I hop is not true.

Thanks for the chance at great giveaway and directing our attentinto a great artist..

Have a lucky day.

Anonymous said...

I like the Seaswept-Sesame jasper Amazonite and Freshwater pearl
mitanari[at]yahoo.com

The Mom said...

I like all of them! Love beaded jewelery. My fav though is the hardcandy necklace...my kids love it when I sport bright colours, I do too! My email is mamaofromance@yahoo.ca

Heather, I also wanted to let you know that I'm tagging you!

http://sexdiariesofamom.blogspot.com/2008/10/ive-been-tagged_17.html

I hope you all have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love everything she makes!

Anonymous said...

I love the A Fire Within necklace.

rebbi511 at peoplepc.com

Shannon said...

I love it all, right now my favorites are Almost Autumn in NY and anything form the Hard Candy line!

Sventura920@verizon.net

MOMFOREVERANDEVER said...

Raku Ceramic and Millifiori mrs.mommyyatgmaildotcom

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You are a one of a kind -- those bracelets are great. I love them all. Would be considered an honor to wear any of them.
thank you for offering this contest to us.

idahomom said...

Very Original. I like the Hard Candy necklace.

Anonymous said...

I love her jewelry!!! I have many pieces from her and they are all very unique and awesome!!! She is awesome at making all kinds of jewelry.

diesel51 said...

The Key- A Story necklace is so novel. I love the big key and the clear crystals.

Angie said...

This is the one I really like: Bliss-Peruvian opal Turquoise Quartz Freshwater pearl Chalcedony Agate Bali sterling silver bracelet!!

It has lovely blue stones!
Great giveaway!
Thank you!
baileybobby6(at)hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I love all of Mel's work! She really has a great eye for design!
Summer

www.summermade.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

~Enchanted earrings are cool~

Anonymous said...

The Key - A Story Necklace.
How perfect is the object that can open so much imagination and conversation! I love the delicate and mystery opportunity this necklace holds!

Keep up the amazing and creative work!

ayriansbetts@gmail.com

Josh, Joni, Hannah Marie and Jewelya Delaine and Eli said...

Mel high five to you! You work, have two kids and still manage the time to make beautiful jewelry. I love the almost autumn in NY.

Josh, Joni, Hannah Marie and Jewelya Delaine and Eli said...

joni@burginwireless.com

Anonymous said...

I like Jeep Girl necklace.

damlakayi (at) yahoo.com

mar said...

Autumn Flame is my favorite!

Anonymous said...

I have many of Melissa's pieces, each and every one is a true work of art. Well made and sturdy for the busy mom (like myself).

Keep up the great work Mel!

-Missy

judybrittle said...

I really love the Crown Jewel earrings. Those are very beautiful! Thank you!
judybrittle at aol dot com

Tina12312 said...

I love her Take Me to Aruba necklace; it's so cool and beautiful! Thank you!

Aimee said...

I LOVE heard candy - the bling edition. the colors are great. Thanks for the contest! acirucci-at-gmail.com

Mommykat007 said...

I love the Girls Night Out- Ice Queen Earrings.

Thanks!
Mommykat007@gmail.com

Momma Maurer said...

Melissa has been my dearest friend for more than 15 years. I love to watch her creativity grow. I own several of her pieces (gifted and bought) and love each one! Her jewelry gets so many compliments and creates conversation every time I wear it.

Shannon said...

I like the key-a-story necklace.

Heather B. said...

Everything Melissa makes is a true work of art. I love the bracelet I have and it is very well made. I also love the hard candy line!

Great work, Melissa!!

mverno said...

a fire within necklace

HilLesha O'Nan said...

I love the Rosebud-Faceted rose quartz and crystal necklace.

lilacbutterfly [at] earthlink.net

Annie1 said...

I love the Tranquility bracelet that is in the sale section! Gorgeous!

Thanks

nancyrobster@gmail.com

Meredith said...

The Enchanted Earrings are unique and I love the color.

Anonymous said...

I love the Girls Night Out-Lil Miss Sunshine earrings. They remind me of my girlfriends. We do Girls Night In, with our kids and make coctails and appetizers that go with our theme for the evening. Sake and Sushi, Maragrita's and tequitos. We keep is simple and try to find stuff to just heat up and serve. Love the earrings. ckd_808@hotmail.com

sk8fancat said...

I like the Fire Within necklace. Thanks

Unknown said...

I really like all of her pieces, but like mentioned before, I love the firewithin necklace...i cant pick just one :) thanks for the contest.

Anonymous said...

I like the Everything Old is New Again necklace but seriously everything you make is beautiful.
luloopsoops1@msn.com

Anonymous said...

my favorite is the "fire within" necklace.
ginabx@yahoo.com
thank you

409cope said...

I like the Sweet as Honey necklace.

Anonymous said...

I love everything that Mel makes!!!

Anonymous said...

I forgot how to contact me, I don't want to post my email address for the world, but I can be contacted through my blog... www.everythingyourmamamade.com

Mia J. said...

I love autumn flame. The color is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I like the Hard Candy bracelet.

galeogirl(at)comcast(dot)net

Anonymous said...

Pretty earrings! My favorite is the Jeep Girl Necklace.
-Terra
partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

strawberry3d said...

my favorite item is the amazing amazonite necklace.

patty said...

I like the "Girls Night Out" earrings.

Twincere said...

I like the "Autumn Flame" bracelet!

toughturtles said...

Crown Jewels

Anonymous said...

Autumnal Eclectic is my favorite piece!

chattypatty@alltel.net

danosor said...

A Fire Within necklace is my favourite.

Tonya said...

i really like the Sweet as Honey necklace

js22 said...

I love the Amazing Amazonite

My email is in blogger profile.

Unknown said...

I love the key-a-story necklace.

D Q said...

I love the Everything Old is New Again necklace.

kristilb19 said...

Girls Night Out- Ice Queen is my fav! Gorgeous jewlery! I'd lovvve to win!
kristilb19@yahoo.com

DEY said...

Really like the Bliss bracelet. Thanks for the giveaway.

Sunnyvale said...

I like the Almost Autumn in New York necklace.

silverbele said...

I like the Radiance

Anonymous said...

Cotton Candy braclet is my favorite.
Nora
neneelynn@yahoo.com

Beverley said...

Very nice jewelry, I especially like the A Fire Within necklace.

miriama said...

Hardcandy-The BLING Edition bracelet

Anonymous said...

tranquility sale bracelet is my fave

Croasla0 said...

I like the "a fire within" necklace. Its simple but elegant and it would match so much!

Lauren
croasla0(at)Sewanee.edu

Aunt Cindy said...

I like the fire and ice earrings and the copper cross. Both are absolutely beautiful.

Anonymous said...

The Crown Jewel earrings are my favorite

Anonymous said...

Christina - xristya@rock.com - I like the Sparklers earrings, which really do sparkle and remind me of explosions of fireworks! I also like their enchanting vintage feel.

Christina said...

I like the A Fire Within necklace best.

Molly C. said...

I really like the Everything Old is New Again necklace.

Anonymous said...

I love the Everything Old is New Again necklace. Thanks so much!

Jen lleras said...

I know its the first item but, The Key- A Story necklace is absolutely wonderful, I love old keys like that and turning it into a necklace is a great idea!

jennifer.lleras@gmail.com

cindy said...

These jewelry designs are exquisite I would gladly wear any piece with pride

Melissa B. said...

My daughter would love The Key Necklace.

Anonymous said...

love the Hardcandy-The BLING Edition!

Anonymous said...

I love the Cotton Candy Bracelet.

llinda29 said...

Enchanted Earrings is my choice

janetfaye said...

Blue Green Dream bracelet is my favorite.

janetfaye (at) gmail (dot) com

justicecw said...

It is all beautiful...I really like the sparkler earrings. thanks, justicecw@hotmail.com

vboackle said...

i like a fire within necklace.

Candie L said...

I like the Fire and Ice earrings

Cherie J said...

I love the Decadence earrings.

cherierj(ar)yahoo(dot)com

Mrs Nobody said...

I love the Autumn Flame. Beautiful colors! Thanks for the giveaway.

Anonymous said...

I love so many of these peices.

tatertot374 said...

Thank you for having this. I really like the Big Top Blues. Thank you!
tatertot374@sbcglobal.net

kygirl said...

Jeep Girl necklace

Snugglefrogs HodgePodge said...

i love the Amazing Amazonite necklace

Smooshy said...

i like the tranquility bracelet

joannaonthelake said...

Shezarealgem has beautiful items! My favorite item is the Tiger Lily Necklace. It is so unusual and absolutely stunning! I would wear this all the time.
joannaonthelake@gmail.com

mogrill said...

I really love the Autumn in New York necklace. It is beautiful.

Bonnie in FL said...

I love the Tranquility bracelet Love the colors and that beautiful large aqua colored nugget in the middle wonderful artwork in jewelry

Bonnie in FL
blday50@gmail.com

Jeni said...

A Fire Within

jvlmary said...

I love Amazing Amazonite......and lots of others!

EdwardsRUs said...

These are some amazing pieces of jewelry, quite stunning! My favorite piece in the online collection is the Crisp and Cool necklace; it would be just perfect for this time of year!

Thanks for the chance to win!!

LINDALSHOT said...

Take Me To Aruba. Fascinating

Aaron said...

Fire and Ice earrings would look great on my girlfriend

Anonymous said...

I love the Enchanted Earrings. Everything is very beautiful. You are very talented Melissa. I love skeleton keys so THE KEY is also very different and appealing. glnnoshadows (at) hotmail (dot) com

Happi Shopr said...

The Fire and Ice earrings are lovely

trinitygsd @ yahoo dot com

Mar said...

The sparklers earrings are just perfect. Lots of sparkle and they dangle.

Reyn said...

The ARTisan Deco earrings.

Rogareyn at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

My favorite item at Shezarealgem is the Cotton Candy bracelet :) *Thanks* for the giveaway!

ols[dot]moonmaiden[at]gmail[dot]com

Jinxy and Me said...

I love the Rosebud-Faceted rose quartz and crystal necklace.

ldrnc2000 said...

The Sweet as Honey necklace is cool! I would love to win! Thanks so much for the giveaway!

Anonymous said...

I like the copper cross. Thanks for the giveaway.

Kari said...

I love the autumn flame!! Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

The Key- A Story necklace is awesome.Thanks
erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

DOODLEGIRL said...

Take me to Aruba

Millie said...

I love the Autumn Flame! Thank you for the chance to win such a great prize!
cade will 14 @ yahoo . com

Heather B said...

Whiter Shade of Pale is beautiful!

jennem said...

My favorite is The Key- A Story necklace.
Jennifer, jennem22 at yahoo dot com

Unknown said...

I love the Whiter Shade of Pale bracelet...and that is also one of my favorite Procol Harum songs! Thanks for the chance to win your great giveaway!
proudyaya04 {at} yahoo {dot} com

Anonymous said...

My favorite piece is the key - a story necklace and my second fave is the hardcandy bracelet - the bling edition. I loooove all your stuff. thanks for the chance to win one. =)

Anonymous said...

The ARTisan deco earrings are absolutely fabulous!
doot65{at}comcast[dot]net
Elizabeth

Leslie said...

The Sweet as Honey necklace is beautiful. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the cotton candy bracelet. Thanks for the contest!

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

I love the Key A Story necklace.

stormraven at gmail dot com

djolsen said...

"He who holds the key" is the one for me! I am an antiquer and this would really look good with the stuff I wear.

cpullum said...

I like the Rosebud-Faceted rose quartz and crystal necklace!!!!
Have a great weekend!

Bakersdozen said...

I like the "Sparklers" earrings. vidomich(at)yahoo(dot)com

Samantha P said...

i really love the The Key- A Story necklace! so cute!

Anonymous said...

I love the Autumnal Eclectic necklace.
autumnbride7@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

The Girls Night Out-Uce Queen Earrings are my favorite. garrettsambo@aol.com

intime said...

A Fire Within necklace is pretty intime@myself.com

Charlene Kuser said...

I like the Crisp and Cool necklace.
It is vintage looking.Thanks
for the giveaway

CharlieGurl57@aol.com

djgroz said...

Girls Night Out-Uce Queen Earrings

mgster said...

I know someone that I would love to give the Cotton Candy Bracelet to. Please enter me in your contest and thanks for doing so!

arvard said...

The Seaswept-Sesame jasper Amazonite and Freshwater pearl is really nice.
nanoart@yahoo.com

klp1965 said...

i love the Amazing Amazonite

fancyfeet48 said...

I like the Almost Autumn in New York necklace.

Anonymous said...

I love the Verde- Turquoise Olive Jade Quartz Jasper Bali Sterling Silver Bracelet. Beautiful jewelry!

Thanks,
Kathryn

khowell4115 AT hotmail DOT com

DANIELLERX said...

I like the Autumn Electric earrings

Kirby McCauley said...

Take me to Aruba is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the Amazing Amazonite necklace. very pretty thanks!
cmfajf@yahoo.com

Becca said...

I love the Sparklers earrings. Thanks!

NesieBird said...

I love the Fire Within necklace!

Sahm Lee said...

I love the Sparklers! Thanks for the contest!
airalynn(@)gmail . com

RE said...

I'd love the White Shade of Pale. Thanks for the giveaway!

cman said...

I love the Amazing Amazonite :)

BethR said...

I love the Autumn Flame!

Salleefur/Jesselyn/Jesster said...

My favs are the Sweet as Honey and Amazing Amazonite necklaces. Both are truly lovely!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful jewelry! My favorite is the Traquility bracelet. Thank you for the chance to win.

mistyriver2009 (at) yahoo.com

Becky said...

Her jewelry is so pretty and so fun! I really loved the Cotton Candy Bracelet. It would look good with almost anything.

Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

everything is so pretty but the cotton candy one is one ov my favorites!

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

I like the "Lady in Red" bracelet.

evolvingmommy[at]gmail[dot]com

Helen said...

I like the Seaswept-Sesame jasper Amazonite and Freshwater pearl.

Unknown said...

beautiful items ! the cotton candy bracelet is awesome, thanks for the giveaway!

Brenda B said...

I love the fire and ice earings.

Donna said...

I would like the Bliss-Peruvian opal Turquoise Quartz Freshwater pearl Chalcedony Agate Bali sterling silver bracelet
donna444444@yahoo.com

rlgrady said...

I like the hard candy bracelet.

Jennifer said...

I think my favorite is the Whiter Shade of Pale bracelet. Thanks for the giveaway!

mattandjen[at]gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I adore the Everything Old is New Again Necklace!

heatheranne99@hotmail.com

rosannepm said...

Amber snowflake earrings

Anonymous said...

I love the Cotton Candy Bracelet.

Anonymous said...

I like the Tiger Lily neclace the best. Thanks for the contest.
Kathy
kathleenyohanna@hotmail.com