Today's Featured Mom is also offering a giveaway so make sure you read all the way to the end for the scoop on how to win!Meredith has a knack for using color where you typically see plain old white - like in her line of bridal jewelry. She's been working with beads for over 25 years so she knows what she can get away with and how to make traditional pieces pop.
H: Tell me about what you make Meredith?
M: I primarily create jewelry and hair accessories from beads and wire, specializing in wedding jewels and headpieces. My favorite materials to work with are freshwater pearls, Swarovski crystals and Czech glass floral beads. I tend to use bold, rich colors and lots of sparkle. I love to use color even in my wedding pieces.
H: How did you get started?
M: I spent many weekends growing up traveling to art festivals with my basket weaver mother. I met so many interesting people throughout the years that were making a living being creative, and I just always knew that was what I wanted to do. My mom let me sell whatever I was making at the time in her show booths, and eventually it just came time to branch out on my own.
When I first started out, I had this mindset that art/craft shows were the only selling outlet I had. I now sell through several online sites and in boutiques. I'm currently working to expand my wholesale sales by setting up an online wholesale gallery to make it easier for shops to purchase.
H: Are you finding success?
M: Yes, I do feel that I'm finding success, but I'm also approaching it cautiously. I was accepted as a member of the Illinois Artisan Program this past spring. Not only is it an honor to become a part of this juried organization, but it also opens up several new selling/exhibiting venues to me throughout the state.
H: Were you creative before you had children?
M: I was raised in arts and crafts. The house I grew up in was only about a half mile down the road from the local artists' guild, so I hung out there most days after school and during the summer. When I was a teen I even taught childrens pottery classes there (that was where I learned I didn't have what it takes to be a full-time teacher and changed my career ambitions). I've dabbled in just about every arts and crafts medium you can think of, but it always came back to the beads.
H: Have your methods changed?
M: My work has taken on a more light-hearted whimsical feel that is inspired by my kids. The biggest impact they have had on the business is the fairytale theme we began using in 2006.
H: How do you find time to stay creative?
M: I'm a night owl, so I work mostly after the kids go to bed.
Do your kids show any creative spirit?
M: Most definitely! Our 16 year old daughter, Audrey, lives for art. I run an Etsy shop http://auddities.etsy.com to sell her fantasy artwork. She's taking every art class available in high school and plans to continue that path in college. One of her proudest moments so far was being accepted into her first juried art festival last fall, set up in the booth next to mine.
Our middle daughter, Emily, is 14 and discovered digital photography at camp last summer. The only thing she asked for last Christmas was a camera which has become a permanent attachment. She's also obsessed with cooking and wants to be a pastry chef.
The youngest, Katelyn, 7, is a storyteller extraordinaire. I really need to start putting a tape recorder in the bathroom when she's in the tub, because that's when the best tales seem to come out--mermaids and aliens and fairies that have to deliver presents because Santa got sick... We never know what she'll come up with next.
H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art)
M: It became more important to me to do whatever I have to do to follow this dream of making a living off my creativity. I don't want my kids to feel that their only way in life is to suffer in a 9-5 job that they hate. They can see that it's hard and sometimes we have to sacrifice, but in the long run I can't help but think that it's the best thing for all of us.
Thanks Meredith! You can visit her myriad of online shopping venues below. If you do, come back here and leave a comment to let us know what your fav piece is from her collection - that will enter you to win this whimsical grape freshwater pearl cluster necklace! That's all there is to it. Make sure you enter before Oct 10th and leave your email address so we have a way to contact you if you're the lucky winner.
http://www.smashingdarling.
http://www.lizzywishes.com/
http://www.madeitmyself.com/
http://lov.li/users/








182 comments:
OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE THE GREEN AMETHYST COCKTAIL RING.
that copper bracelet caught my eye! I had to search it out!
Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff Bracelet
gorgeous!
I love the Mermaid Princess Headpiece! Gorgeous! Thanks!
bunnybx at gmail . com
The Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff is my favorite too! It's a unique beauty.
One of my favorite pieces is from Tilleyjewels - Dark Tulip and Pearl Earrings. thank you
I really like the Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings.
-Terra
partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com
Dark Princess Headpiece IS PRETTY MRS.MOMMYYATGMAILDOTCOM
Hmm, let's see: Blue Windows on the World earrings, the Charlotte Web Cuff Bracelet, Pearl Grape Cluster pendant...I could go on. I love your items. They are so unique. I also love the whimsical cherry earrings!
my favorite piece is the Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff
bonnie in fl
blday50@gmail.com
I like Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls Necklace.
damlakayi (at) yahoo.com
I like the Victorian Pearl Drop Earrings!
dbstout{at}juno{dot}com
Polychromes Rainbow Cuff Bracelet is my favorite. Great stuff from the whole family - thanks for the giveaway!
kellifrobinson2{at}gmail.com
Victorian Pearl Drop Earrings
Very pretty things!
I think I like the Victorian Pearl Earrings the best though!
Thanks for the chance to win the lovely cluster of grapes.
Mermaid Princess Headpiece is one of my favorites on TilleyJewels. But Charlottes Copper Web Cuff Bracelet is my absolute favorite item.
traymona[at]aol.com
I like the Rainbow in a Cage Earrings.
She has gorgeous jewelry!
janetfaye (at) gmail (dot) com
Just love the Victorian hair comb. The Victorians knew how to accessorize a lady and their designs are eternal.
i like the mermaid princess headpiece! so cute
Rainbow in a Cage Earringszad
Midnight Bouquet Earrings are so cute.
Nora
neneelynn@yahoo.com
Flightplan Necklace is so beautiful and caught my eye. I love it! I love the fine detail
Great blog and website.
Amy
amy in kamloops @ gmail. com
I like the Victorian Pearl drop earrings!
copper bracelet
I like her Scarlet Bloom earrings
cardeb2@verizon.net
I love her Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings and of course the grapes necklace! Thank you!
I liked the Pirate Skulls and Black Pearl necklace.
Mermaid Princess Headpiece
I like the Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls necklace.
lilnamekangelivy[at]aol[dot]com
mermaid headpiece
Pirate Skulls and Black Pearl Necklace is cool
gkstratos@yahoo.com
I like the Chloe necklace
I like the MIDNIGHT BOUQUET EARRINGS.
I like the victorian pearl drop earrings.
Chalotte's Copper Web Bracelet is my favorite!
Victorian hair comb is my choice
What gorgeous jewelry! My favorite piece is the Mermaid Princess Headpiece.
I love this one, great colior combo: Dark Tulip and Pearls Earrings
I love the Keshi Pearl & green Tourmaline Necklace. Great giveaway, thanks!
I really like the Gothic Skulls and Roses Earrings.
mitanari@yahoo.com
I love copper, anything copper, so I really love the copper cuff! Its gorgeous!
thanks
nancyrobster@gmail.com
I LOVE her stuff-- it's wonderful, but I did like Almond Hoop Earrings and the Lavender Hoops the best. I favorited her!
I want to own a vineyard!
I LOVE the Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls necklace
The Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls
necklace is my favorite.
I love the Luscious Red Cherry Earrings. Great giveaway, thanks!
What a fantastic artist. My favorite is the Mermaid Princess Headpiece.
=) melanie
http://melaniescrafts/blogspot.com
melanieadey at hotmail dot com
I like the Dark Tulip and Pearls Earrings
I love the Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls Necklace.
xxbeccaannxx@gmail.com
The grape necklace really is my favorite but I also like the Midnight Bouquet Earrings - very pretty!
The Gothic Skulls and Roses earrings are cute and so appropriate for this time of year
Oh, my goodness, she makes great jewelry! It's so unique! I love the Dark Tulip and Pearls Earrings. Thanks for the great giveaway!
I love earrings and the Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings are definitely my favorites!
micaela6955 at msn dot com
Mermaid Princess Headpiece is so lovely
I really like the Midnight Bouquet Earrings. So pretty.
I really like the Rainbow in a Cage Earrings! So pretty.
OMG. The Midnight Pearl Earrings are heaven. What a wonderful collection of jewelry. I had so much fun browsing. Thanks for the giveaway chance. Wish me luck!
I just love the freshwater pearl grape clusters necklace. So pretty! I also really like the Scarlet Bloom earrings and the Dark Princess headpiece. The combo of reds and blacks in those pieces is great. Thank you for the chance!!
She has many lovely jewelry creations. I especially like the
"Rustic Sterling Cuff Bracelet!" Please enter me in your drawing. many thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]htomail[dot]com
Rainbow in a Cage Earrings & the copper bracelet are nice!
I totally bookedmarked her site! LOVE all her pieces. My favorite are the dark tulip earrings.
I really like the Chloe necklace.
The Victorian pearl drop earrings are so elegant. I love everything, honestly. Unique and won't break the budget!
My favorite is the Midnight Bouquet Earrings.
purplepatio@yahoo.com
i really like her stuff! pretty...i would choose the pirate skulls and black pearl necklace.I know someone who would really like that! enter me please,the grapes are sooo cute..
oldplace.betty(at)gmail.com
got you added to my blog here as well..thanks again..
oldplace.betty(at)gmail.com
http://oldwaybecomesnewagain.blogspot.com/2008/10/sunday-morning-contest-giveaways.html
Rainbow in a Cage Earrings - very cute!
Love how colorful the Polychrome's Rainbow Circle Necklace is!
Thanks!
Sarah
believedreamcourage (at) gmail.com
OH my gosh I was going to to say luscious until I saw baby berries!
Great earrings!
I love that bracelet in the post too!
The Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls Necklace is my favorite.
Really like Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff bracelet
the dark princess head piece is my favorite. i like the color of red and black.
Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff
The Grey Sterling Hoop earrings
Totally the Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff! GORGEOUS!
I think I'd look like a rockstar in the Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls Necklace. It's so pretty yet still edgy.
Thanks for the chance to win!
The scarlet bloom earrings are gorgeous!
doot65{at}comcast[dot]net
Elizabeth
Love the cooper bracelet :)
ktgonyea@gmail.com
My favorite item is the Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff Bracelet.
agsweeps [@] hotmail [.] com
Thanks!!
My fav is the copper bracelet too! Wow! What a great talent! Thank you so much for the chance to win such a great prize!
The Charlottes Copper Web Cuff Braceletis cute and versatile
i like the pearl grape cluster pendant.
I just adore the Luscious Red Cherry Earrings
I like the Mermaid Princess Headpiece
The Victorian Pearl Earrings are beautiful.
I really like the Pearl Grape Cluster pendant, but then all of your things are pretty!
jwright at iowatelecom dot net
I like my wine so I really think the Freshwater Pearl Grape Cluster Necklace is beautiful
I love the cherry earrings! How great that she encourages the creativity in her children as well!! That is one awesome mama!
I like the victorian pearl drop earrings.
bebemiqui82(at)yahoo(dot)com
I like the Dark Princess Headpiece. Thanks
livlifelov at yahoo dot com
I like the Charlotte's Copper Web Necklace.
treflea4 at gmail dot com
I likt Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff Bracelet and Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings
I love the Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff!
khmorgan_00 [at] yahoo [dot] com
I like the baby berries earrings! So cute!http://www.smashingdarling.com/item/baby-berry-earrings
I like the Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop earrings
tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com
I really like the Fuschia Fling Earrings. Thanks!
I absolutely love the Freshwater Pearl Grape Cluster Pendant. It looks just a bunch of grapes!!
bacon74 (at)1stopmom.com
The grape cluster necklace is my favorite.
I was disappointed there were no pins or brooches in the collection though.
Nyssa AT concentric DOT net
Dark Tulip and Pearls Earrings
Love the Polychrome's Rainbow Circle Necklace, what fun! I'd love to wear it with a t-shirt and jeans!
With Halloween appraching, I love the Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls Necklace. What's coller than a skull and corssbones?
urchiken at gmail dot com
My birthstone is amethyst but I've never seen it in green - the Green Amethyst Cocktail Ring is amazing!
Thanks!
xpsundell(at)gmail(dot)com
Very pretty jewelry! I love the "rainbow in a cage earrings"
I cant decide if i love the "Luscious Red Cherry Earrings" or the "Victoriana Silver Bow Hair Comb" more. both amazing.
Aschrader85@gmail.com
I love the Midnight Stars Wrap Bracelet! Beautiful, and it would go perfectly with a blouse my husband got me last year!
I love the pirate skulls and black pearls necklace!!
margelina@comcast.net
Charlotte's Copper Web bracelet is my favorite.
Just like ChristiS, I'm attracted to the Midnight Stars Wrap Bracelet. I have an auqa and blue batik shirt it would look incredible with. I think some of the earrings are beautiful too, but I can't wear them. anymore:( The grape cluster necklace being given away is also lovely, and might have been my "fav" if I didn't think you'd see that as a cop-out for not looking through all the links. :)
I love the midnight stars wrap bracelet. It's hard to choose though.
Everything is lovely. I love the Mermaid Princess Headpiece. It would be perfect for my wedding, whenever we get around to that...
reg8w@aol.com
that grape necklace looks familiar to me! i love the pink and grey sterling hoop earrings!
texan_micahel(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
Blue Heaven Earrings
kristilb19@yahoo.com
I love bracelets and the Charlottes Copper Web Cuff Bracelet is one of the most unique of seen, thank you.
This woman is awesome!! I lovd checking out her daughters work last month and totally enjoy reading about mom now. I found really cute earrings called Gothic Skulls and Roses Earrings.Love them:)
cyclona66@aol.com
I love those dark tulip and pearl earrings.
The Midnight Stars bracelet is so pretty!
Christina - xristya@rock.com - I love Meredith Tilly's Blue Windows On The World earrings - and what a poetic title! I myself know that it's difficult to make money in the art world (and not remain a starving artist) so I also applaud her for her integrity in continuing to do what she loves!
I like the Polychromes Rainbow Cuff Bracelet.
I have to say it is the grape necklace.
We love to go wine tasting and this would be perfect to wear.
Thanks for a great giveaway!
Victoriana Silver Bow Hair Comb
this is my favorite I love classy pieces like this!
ajcmeyer AT go DOT com
I adore the Mermaid Princess Headpiece!
I have been wanting to make one, but, unable to with all that is going on...this is beautiful and worth the price not to have to make it!
Thanks!
I like the Victoriana Silver Hair Bow comb. It's so elegant.
Jennifer, jennem22 at yahoo dot com
i like the gothic skulls and roses earrings
I got to say I like the web necklace. I love dreamcatchers and these piece just reminds me so much of them.
draggon50@hotmail.com
My favorite is the Green Apple Necklace.
i adore the Mermaid Princess Headpiece!
I love the Mermaid Princess headpiece--not that I'd have anywhere to wear it. I also LOVE the rainbow in a cage earrings. The bright colors make me happy.
the_other_alice_(at)yahoo.com
I love the Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings!
hockiemack@hotmail.com
The Pirate skulls and black jewels necklace is cool. I think the grape pendant that's up for grabs is my very favorite.
I love the Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings.
cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com
I LOVE the rainbow cuff bracelet. ITs perfect for my personality. Love it!
The mermaid princess headpiece is darling! Thanks! senekers@comcast.net
My favourite is the Baby Berry Earrings, they look adorable and good enough to eat!
beejay782000(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)au
I like the rainbow circle necklace. thanks, justicecw@hotmail.com
I really liked the Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings- I love pink! Thanks :-)
The copper cuff that you feature here is my favorite as well.
I love the Mermaid Princess Headpiece! Lovely!
Megret
musesofmegret (at) gmail (dot) com
I enjoyed your interview with Meredith. It is always interesting to learn a little bit about the artist who creates the jewelry. I visited all of her venues and although there are so many jewelry items I love, my favorite is the SCARLET BLOOM EARRINGS. I have always loved red and black together and these earring are beautiful! I love the movement they have to them. I also love the grape cluster necklace that is part of this giveaway! It is whimsical and fun!
joannaonthelake@gmail.com
The Victorian pearl earrings are my absolute favs. Gorgeous things....
Such cute things..hard to chose. I like the Victoriana hair piece!!
I love the pink and grey sterling hoops. I may just have to buy those.
southrngal(at)gmail(dot)com
I like the Luscious Red Cherry Earrings.
egreca (at) hotmail {dot} com
i love green amethyst ring ,amethst is my birthstone thanks
I like the Gothic Skulls and Roses Earrings from her Smashing Darling site ;)
ladyblue1112000[at]yahoo.com
The pink and grey sterling hoop earrings are my favorite.
clenna@aol.com
i like the dark tulip and pearls earrings on the last page! Very nice
forsweeps@bellsouth.net
Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings
Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls. Johnlenoraplus2@yahoo.com
I love the victorian sliver bow hair comb!
Thanks
mountaingoats at hotmail dot com
I really like the Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings. Thanks
erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net
Gothic Skulls and Roses Earrings
Love the Mermaid Princess Headpiece
My favorite piece would have to be the Gothic Skulls and Roses Earrings. Thanks for the great giveaway, love the grape cluster necklace too!
My favorite is the Blue Heaven Earrings!
heatheranne99@hotmail.com
Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff. I love it! Thanks for the contest!
Very pretty things!
I think I like the Victorian Pearl Earrings the best though
i love the Dark Tulip and Pearls Earrings! so pretty!
I love the OOAK Cookie Please Original Artwork Bookmark :)
The Mermaid Princess Headpiece struck my eye right away and is definitely my favorite piece. I love it!
Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff Bracelet
I love the Charlotte's Copper Web Necklace,It is so genuine and unique.I love the wire and bead
look.Beautiful items and nice
quality.Thanks for the giveaway
CharlieGurl57@aol.com
I adore the Dark Princess Headpiece! Classy and sassy. You do lovely work!
I love the Luscious Red Cherry Earrings. (must be the fruit in me!) Thanks for this opportunity.
I love the Black Rose Victoriana Pendant Necklace! It's stunning!!
I like the Victorian Pearl Drop Earrings.
I love the Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings. Very pretty.
Thanks for the contest.
Pirate Skulls and Black Pearls Necklace
angela k tisaynababae@yahoo.com
Th Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff Bracelet! I have ugly hands, so I never wear rings, and I have plenty of necklaces (all costume - but pretty) But I really love bracelets and have very few. I must hint for something for Christmas!
I love the Pink and Grey Sterling Hoop Earrings. I have an earring addiction!
I love the Dark Tulip and Pearls Earrings and the Victorian Silver Bow hair comb. The grape cluster necklace is so whimsical and I love it, too. Cute stuff!
I just love the Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff. My 14yr old daughter loves designing and making bean jewelry. She hopes to learn more about it and design more when she is older.
The pirate skulls and black pearls necklace is so much fun!ashlyn@chuparkoff.com
i love the Tourmaline & aquamarine earrings
I really love the "Luscious Red Cherry Earrings" -- I am not much of a jewelry person, but these earrings are precious and I can picture them being the envy of the office.
My favorite is the grape cluster earrings, but I also like the berry earrings.
I adore the Freshwater Pearl Grape Cluster Necklace.
I really like the Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff. It is so attractive.
The Mermaid Princess Headpiece is my favorite. garrettsambo@aol.com
My favorite is the Luscious Red Cherry Earrings! Too cute!!
Charlotte's Copper Web Cuff makes me believe that there is healing powers in copper.
I love the bracelet cuff You are giving away in Copper but I also love the rainbow cuff
I like the Victorian Pearl Drop Earrings!
I love the Mermaid Princess headpiece!
Post a Comment