Feb 13, 2009

Featured Creative Mom - Karina of Soap that Makes Scents

Today's Creative mom has been running her own soap business since 2001. Her 100% vegetarian handmade soaps are made in New York city using only the best quality oils and butters Karina can get her hands on.



H: How did you get started? Are you finding success?

K: I got the chance to go to England with my husband on a business trip. In between conventions and banquet dinners, the wives were starting to get bored hanging around the hotel so we found out about a soapmaking class and gave it a try. After that, I never looked back...Soap is something everyone uses and everyone needs. I sell worldwide online, and meet many many customers at shows. I truly believe that once you try handmade soap, you'll NEVER go back to store-bought soap again.

H: Were you creative before you had children?

K: It was just in me. I know that sounds cliche but there's really no other explanation for it. I just started creating things with my own two hands.


H: Have your methods changed?

K: Having a two year old around definitely mixes things up a little. My creating has to be done around her schedule, and obviously time spent with her comes first. I make my soap when she's napping, and do my packaging and labeling when she's awake. After her bedtime, I can go on the computer, do my paperwork, etc. Oh..and everyone knows her at the Post Office now.

H: How do you find time to stay creative?

K:
I'm fortunate to be able to stay at home and run my own business. Even when I'm busy, I'm always thinking up new ideas in my head and getting inspiration for new scent blends. The creative process never stops.

H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?

K: Well, Isabella Rose is only two years old, so there's still a bit of time for that to progress. She does love to color though!


H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art)

K: That it's ok to not get everything done *that night*...things can wait until tomorrow. One of the television shows she watches, Yo Gabba Gabba, has a song in it that's frequently stuck in my head about not giving up, and to keep on trying..I replay that over and over in my head for courage sometimes.


You can find all of Karina's skin-loving products at www.SoapThatMakesScents.com,

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit us at Maternal Spark Karina, it was a pleasure to have you!



Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. I love the soaps and lip balms from her shop. I may have to pay it another visit!

Anonymous said...

I love it.. A quote from Yo Gabba Gabba. Creativity merges with
motherhood.

I need to go check out the shoppe, the picture sure looks delicious. Here's hoping I can step out of my Coconut comfort zone.

Artsnark said...

Great interview & Yummy photo!

KreatedbyKarina said...

Isabella's napping right now so I wanted to take just a moment to thank Maternal Spark for featuring my shop~

Anonymous said...

That soup looks good enough to eat! Great interview.