
Dallas Roe has been making tutus since December of 2006. Her website went live in April of 2007, nearly one year ago.
She is the mother of two children under three years old. Her kids have taught her patience and provided inspiration for her work. If a tutu isn’t soft enough, pretty enough or made well enough to be worn by one of her children then it isn’t good enough for anyone and won’t be sold.
H: Tell me about your craft
D: I create super poofy tutus that are perfect for dress up, dance or photography. They are suitable for infants up to adults. I use only the softest tulle to make the tutus, so little legs aren’t scratched up. Each tutu is hand made by myself, and isn’t factory produced. I take great pride in my work, and no tutu leaves my office to go to a customer until it meets my standards.
H: Were you creative before you had children?
D: I guess you could say I was creative before my girls came along. I was a teacher. Even as a little girl I have always loved creating new and unique items.
H: What have you learned since you started making children’s apparel?
D: My tutus have greatly improved since the very first one I made. Of course we all get better as we go and find little things that work or don’t work. I’ve gotten better at finding the cutest ribbon to add to my tutus, or the perfect embellishment to add that makes mine stand out from the others.
H: How does your creativity affect the way you approach business?
D: I love to create a one of a kind tutu! Taking a customer’s vision and bringing it to life allows me to grow my product line and my field of possibilities.
H: How do you balance your creative life with your life as a mommy?
D: That’s the million-dollar question! I really don’t know, to be honest. With having a two year old and an almost one year old, I’m not sure how I find the time. I just do. I make tutus while they nap, which luckily for me is about 2-3 hours a day at the same time. I also make them when my husband gets home in the evenings and on the weekends. I’m very adamant that my customers not wait 2-3 weeks to get a tutu. When I get an order, I typically make it and mail it out the next day. A happy customer is a repeat customer.
H: What’s next for you?
D: I would love to see my company grow. I’ve already got a few things lined up where some celebrities will be getting Miss Priss Tutus! I love owning my own business, contributing to our finances and being able to stay at home with my girls. I get the best of both worlds.
H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?
D: Absolutely, and my dining room walls are proof. Yes, my 2 year old loves to color on anything including the walls. She is also a great block builder.
Dallas and her tutus can be found at www.missprisstutus.com. She also runs a blog where you can get up to date info on specials like free shipping or sale prices. See www.missprisstutus.blogspot.com. Special order requests can be sent to Support@missprisstutus.com
Thanks for joining us Dallas, it had been great learning about the art of tutu making!








6 comments:
I've never heard of anyone who made tutus before. Cool.
Sweet tutus! I had a great schedule once my son turned 2ish but then along came Ava, my 8 month old and my world is upside down all over again!
awesome tutu's! and such a great blog! I have a 2 and 4yr old its not easy that's for sure
What a great blog, and the tutus are absolutely beautiful.. I too never knew someone who made tutus. I spent 6 years in ballet and recall all the moms making costumes... that must be quite a client list! :) They are really nice. Thanks for sharing.
Charles - now ya know ;)
Melissa - Sounds like you're busy! Thanks for coming by
Alicia - thanks for the nice words!!
Smiley - Glad you like it here, hope to see you often :)
How fabulous. My daughter (7.5) is going to squee her head off over Miss Priss tutus!
Post a Comment