Mar 19, 2008

Fear

I've just finished two more flash pieces in my Emotion series. They were about empathy. I'm not the type to easily feel sorry for people so this was a bit of an eye opener and challenge for me. Up next I'm working on fear. The fiction piece will be much fun. I plan to write a bit of horror. I see something gritty and grainy and old fashioned. I see some type of monster with tension holding it all together. I'm excited to get working on it, just a bit more mental grease is needed before it all spews out my fingers to the keyboard.

Now, the non-fiction piece will be about little H. There is no way on this planet that I can think of a time I was scared and not think of the day she stopped breathing. It is the only time in my life when I felt real fear. Sure, there were times when my breath caught in my throat if our car swerved on icy roads. When thunder clapped overhead when I was young. When the big kids told the bloody hook story over a campfire at girl guide camp. But now, that I've had this experience with little H, I know that those other times were just thrills. Thrills like riding a roller coaster or playing 'Bloody Mary' in a dark closet while five little girls laughed right outside with their ears pressed to the door. I'm not looking forward to writing it but I have to.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting lost in you bookmarks,but I like what I'm reading here.

Ivan

Charles Gramlich said...

My greatest fears were certainly from moments when I worried or feared for my son.

Heather said...

Ivan - glad you're gettin comfy :)

Charles - I hope those moments were few and far between.

Unknown said...

How scary - children will do that to you! I had a moment like that with my now 8 month old - SCARY!

Heather said...

Melissa - it is scary isn't it??!! I hope everything is good now :)