May 9, 2008

Featured Mom - Emily from Kianika Designs


Emily of Kianika designs is our Featured Mom for today. She makes adorable crocheted items and often finds time to craft while her kids play alongside her.

H: How long have you been doing what you do?
E: I first learned to crochet as a child, around age 8, so I’ve always been interested in it. (My aunt first taught me.) But I really just started to pick it up again in the last few years.

H: What do you like to chrochet?

E: I like to create anything and everything. Does that narrow it down? I’ve made slippers, skirts, shrugs, hats, scarves, sweaters, toys, cell phone cases, purses, pillows…my projects are extremely varied! I like to experiment to see what I can come up with.

H: Do you sell your items?

E: I first heard about Etsy on a baby forum. Some other mothers started selling some of their crafts, so I thought I’d try too. Am I finding success? It’s hard to say…I’ve sold three things in my first month, so it’s not too bad. We’ll have to see how things go from here – but, I am having a lot of fun!

H: Were you creative before you had children?

E: Yes, I’ve always enjoyed doing crafts. As a child I used to make friendship bracelets a lot. I’ve also tried weaving and cross-stitching. I’m very tactile, so I always need my hands to be busy!

H: How do you find time to stay creative?

E: I crochet at different times during the day. If my family is all hanging out in the living room, I’ll work on a project. Or, if I need some downtime during the day, I’ll pull out a project. I find this craft easy to do with kids around because there is no mess involved and it takes up little space. All it requires is a ball of yarn and crochet hook.

H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?

E: YES! My oldest (age 3 – she’ll be 4 in July) loves to make things with playdough, and model magic. She loves to draw and paint. She makes up stories and silly dances. Sometimes, she’ll sit beside me while I work on a project and hold the yarn, calling herself the “yarn girl.” She’s great. My youngest is only 10 months old – but I’m sure there is a creative soul in there! She likes to clap her hands and “sing.”

H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art).

I think my kids have inspired me to learn more about different crochet techniques and try out new patterns. For instance, the only reason why I even attempted to make a toy was for them. I think I’ve branched out in terms of what I make because of them.

Emily's work can be found at http://www.kianikadesigns.etsy.com/
and she welcomes custom orders so drop her a line kianikadesigns@yahoo.ca


Like this post? Subscribe and get them via email!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for Emily, and happy Mother's Day, Heather.

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

VEry nice feature. I really like reading about other crafters.