May 10, 2008

When creativity goes bad.....

A piece of chocolate candy.Image via WikipediaFor me, the urge to create is a strange one. Sometimes my mind rattles on and on and on until I can't stand it anymore and get out a project to work on. As a mom, I need to harness that creative urge when it comes and make the most of it when time permits. As you know, it takes planning to be able to sit down to write or craft and time is limited. So when a project goes wrong, it's a horrible thing isn't it?

It's like unwrapping a fragrant, decadent chocolate. Holding it in your fingers and enjoying the anticipation while it moves towards your lips, but then, at the last moment it falls from your hand and into a mud puddle. You stand there and look at it floating in the murky filth, bend down to it and mourn. It's gone and even if you fished it out of the puddle it just wouldn't taste good anymore, it would be tainted.

Tonight after little H went to bed I decided to try something new. I had seen these great little notebooks made from recycled game boards. There are some made from cereal boxes and the like too. I quite liked them and wanted to try to make one myself - from a Purdy's chocolate box (yeah, I had chocolate on the mind for a reason). I hauled out all my supplies and got to work. I had a general idea of what I needed to do and how to do it. There were a few things that I'd have to work out as I went a long but generally when I attempt these things there is some kind of success. This time it wasn't meant to be. After about 1/2 an hour of measuring, folding, scoring, cutting, glue gunning etc, the box had a curve to it and it wasn't laying like I wanted it to....my notebook would've been wonky and not in that cute I made it myself by hand so it's a little wonky but charming kind of way. It would've been a pain to write in a wonky notebook. So I had to let it go. My time had been wasted, my creative urge unfulfilled. Ugh, I feel cheated. The time I spent on that could have been put to much better use. Oh well, even failures teach us something don't they?

Happy Mother's day to all of you, I hope you can keep your chocolates out of mud puddles. Oh, and join me in the Mommyfest Blog party - there is a link in the right sidebar. It sounds like fun.



Like this post? Subscribe and get them via email!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I can relate, though a past father.

Toddlers tugging at your typewriter paper while you're having a mental block with the writing.
Arghh.

Danielle said...

I am sure it is better than anything I could have made. I got the headband and it is awesome. I am only home on weekends and hope to take some pics and post this weekend. It is awesome! Thank you so much.

Deneal said...

Too bad the notebook didn't work out, we can all relate to that. What a cute idea though. You've got a fun blog to read and I'll be stopping by again to visit. Thanks!

Lani Robertson said...

i love this post...it sounds just like my life! the other day i tried to make a box out of an old game board...it didn't work out either! :(