Today's featured mom is a master of lather, curer of diaper rashes and a maker of all pampering things. Rebecca of Wash the Day Away makes handmade, organic bath and body products that are perfect for moms and babies. She loves to empower her customers with education and sends brochures out with all her orders. The way she involves her son is very educational as well. I hope you enjoy this interview!H: How long have you been doing what you do?
R: I dabbled in making bath and body products since I was 18. Last year in Massage school I had to take a 3 day Seminar on Aromatherapy, and it rekindled my love for Pure Essential Oils. I was taught by Kathy Keville who's published many Aromatherapy books. I also was taking classes that discussed the harmful things in mainstream bath and body products, organics, things like that. After that, I started buying tons of oils again, and I started to make perfumes and aftershave. My friends and family loved everything so much, I figured I'd take my shot at selling them, and found Etsy! Then it just grew. I'm trying to figure out how to make new and different things all the time. So for about 3 or 4 years all together.
H: Where do you get your inspiration?
R: When I make a product, I think about it's purpose and intent, and how it can help a person. I really believe those thoughts and warm feelings make the product that much better. This is actually proven if you've ever read or heard of the book "The Hidden Messages in Water" by Masaru Emoto. In my own experiance, it has really worked. My Black Honey Soap is a good example. I made this soap on a mission for myself. I was having this horrible skin problem that I really wanted to fix. And so all I was thinking about while making it is how awesome it's going to be, and what it will do for my skin, I felt excited and passionate about it.
I used it for 2 days, and it's completely cleared up my acne. So I thought I have to put this in my store! I sold 40 bars of it the first month it was up, and I've sold 100's since then. It's become my Best Seller. So in Summery, I like to create products that will really change people's skin and moods for the better. I'm very passionate about it.
H: How did you get started on Etsy? Are you finding success?
H: How did you get started on Etsy? Are you finding success?
R: At first, I was looking to create my own website. And then through a blogger friend I found Etsy, and I loved it! So I started my business there in March of last year. I feel I really am finding success. I have made what I did in sales for 2007 in the first 3 months in 2008. That is a big jump!
H: Were you creative before you had children?
R: Oh yes! In High School I was a sculpter. After High school I was a Photographer, Painter, Writter, Knitter. Then I had my son Jonah, and I went to Massage school, and now I do this!
H: Have your methods changed?
R: Oh for sure! Starting out was always a lot of trial and error. Especially with making creams and lotions. Through a lot of reading, and talk with other Etsians in Forums, I've bettered my craft and make less mistakes. Sometimes it's even a matter of scent. As an Aromatherapist, I work with Pure Essential Oils, and so medicinal or theraputic properties are my first aim. 2nd is making it smell nice. I've made a few things that just smelled awful and had to start over. I feel that through time my scent mixing abilities have gotten much stronger.
H: How do you find time to stay creative?
R: Well, it's really all I do. I do massage on the side for now, and I'm a stay at home Mom. So all I have is time. I've had to cut back actually because I would sometimes be making products between 10 am - 4 am. I'm addicted to it! I'm lucky enough to have a very supportive Husband who works a full time job so that I can do what I'm passionate about. I hope to one day return the favor by having my own, very successful actual store. Making lots of money so that he can do what he is passionate about while I bring home the bacon. [laugh]
H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?
Well, Jonah is 3 1/2. I started getting him to paint when he was 1 years old. He paints some pretty cool stuff, I think! And he's very interested in what I do. Sometimes I let him help by putting in measured ingredients in a pot of lotion or soap I'm making, and let him stir it. He loves to smell everything too.
H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art)
R: Put everything out of reach! [laugh] And I always try to let him be involved (if I'm not in too much of a rush), Even if it's just taping up a package to be sent. Curiosity is always fine by me. I welcome it.
Visit her store at http://www.washthedayaway.etsy.com/. I have a Wash The Day Away Blog at http://washthedayawaynaturalbathandbody.blogspot.com/. or feel free to send her an e-mail
Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!









2 comments:
You sure have a beautifully laid out site for a blogspot blog.I always thought it was pretty hard to modify those layouts.I see you still haven't added a favicon in your blog.Its easy to do and helps you stand out from the rest of the blogspot blogs.Check out my post about it.
How to add a favicon in Blogger
Great interview!
Post a Comment