Image by judge_mental via FThere is only so much information we moms can keep around in our heads before we start dropping bits out our ears. Hoarding the family facts in our minds is bad for us for several reasons:1) It puts the pressure of family obligations on us and us alone. There is no reason your hubby can't make it to his doctors appointment on time. While you may be a mother, you are not his mother. Also, a child over the age of 10 should be held responsible for remembering they need an empty egg carton for science class on Tuesday.
2) It stops our minds from having the ability to wander. Who can plot out a short story while taking a shower or design a new sewing pattern while getting dressed when we're too busy thinking about how we need to pick up milk.
3) Things will inevitably fall through the cracks. We're awesome and we know it but - one day, we'll have 21 things on our mental to do list instead of our usual 20 and something will get forgotten.
4) It's hard to prioritize our daily tasks when we are going on memory power alone. Often I'll think of something that needs to be done and abandon my current task in order to do it before the thought is lost. Then I wonder why I only cleaned half the kitchen or folded half a load of laundry. Anyone can see, this isn't the best way to be efficient.
So, we are all in agreement that getting clutter out of our minds and onto paper is beneficial not only for our mental health, but also for our creativity. What's the best way to go about putting this into practice? Jennifer, the Mom behind ListPlanIt.com has generously provided me with an amazing home organizer list. It will allow you to plan meals, appointments and to dos for today, tomorrow and the whole week. This list will be delivered to you via my first newsletter. If you're already an email subscriber there's nothing more to do, just watch for it to appear in your inbox. If you aren't subscribed but would like the free planner, just enter your email address below. I don't have a finite release date yet, but I expect to put the finishing touches on the newsletter sometime before this Monday. I'll also include instructions on how to put the listing into practice so it's something you actually use - instead of plan to use. Check out Jennifer's Blog too - it's another incredible planning resource.









4 comments:
There's a lot of truth to these things for all of us. When I'm plotting a story in my head I certainly forget all kinds of things.
Well, it sure reminds me of the days when I was a house-husband, and forgetting to bring my wife's robe to the hospital after the second child.
I couldn't live without lists, I was just checking out ListPlanIt a few days ago, great stuff!
You post sure did hit home with me. I am at my best working from a list or outline I am able to accomplish my task easier. Your creativity will soar when you list out your desired results. We are creative by nature and having a game plan listed will let your mind do what it does best. Thanks for the post it defined some nice points.
Oh... enjoy your writing also.
Post a Comment