Aug 22, 2008

Featured Mom - Katy of Sweetgrass Prints

Today's featured Mom is Katy Nash of Sweetgrass Prints. Her passion is paper and she makes some really fun stuff like the recipe cards shown. Take a read through her interview and see how this creative mama works through ramping her hobby up to the next level.

H: How long have you been doing what you do?


K: I have been creating cards for as long as I can remember but it wasn't until a few months ago that my husband finally gave me a big push and told me I should sell them.


H: What do you like to create?

K: I love to create cards and paper goods. I love deep bold colors like pinks and chocolates. My shop is full of personalized cards. Anyone can buy a box of generic cards in a store, but when it has your name or monogram on it in your favourite color combo, it is truly yours.


H: How did you get started? Are you finding success?


K: Over the past few years I have been creating a portfolio of cards with the intention to sell them but I never got the nerve up to get out there. Finally I did, and to my surprise I had a local boutique purchase some for sale. I guess this gave me the extra confidence to create more and open an etsy shop.


I am finding success. I try not to let the roller coaster ride get to me. One day I am so thrilled with a custom order and then days go by with no bites at all. I have to put this in perspective for myself. If it takes off and I make some cash then it's a bonus.


H: Were you creative before you had children?


K: I was, and I had a lot more time to devote to it. I wish I had that sort of time now.


H: Have your methods changed?


J: I started with paper on paper designs and now I have moved to all digital designs. Adobe Illustrator is my best friend and I learn something new on it every day.


H: How do you find time to stay creative?


J: I make it a priority. It is something I do for me to keep sane. My family knows that this is something I love to do and they respect that.

H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?


J: My son is 4 and he loves art projects. He likes to draw and paint. We will see where that goes in the future. My daughter is only 8 months.


H: What have you learned after having kids in relation to your arts?


J: That I don't only want to be known as a "mom."

I think it is too easy to forget all the things that meant so much to you before you had kids. There is still time, although limited, in the day to do things that make you and only you happy. You'd be surprised how good that time will make you feel. When there is a happy mom in the house then everyone is happy!


Check out Katy's shop at http://sweetgrassprints.etsy.com or send her an email at katy@sweetgrassprints.com


She is always adding new items so check back often. Also, Katy is offering free shipping to Maternal Spark readers - just enter coupon code SGPMS08 in the note to seller field. (offer not valid on vintage or desk accessories).




Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her designs are very cool and classy!

Anonymous said...

Love her work! Sophisticated with an element of fun! Thanks for featuring her shop and I'll be sure to add her to my Etsy favorites list.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the gift tags! She is so talented and creative!!!