I'll confess: I'm a writer at heart, and a lover of words. Lately, I have noticed 'chat speak' sneaking into everyday language. I'm guilty myself of sneaking in an OMG or WTF (a personal favorite) here and there in informal correspondence like emails or plurks.
But
It's going a little far now people. Hearing Rachel Ray call extra virgin olive oil - EVOO makes me want to pop her between the eyes. Same goes for when people use BFF in conversation. Keep it to the medium it was intended for - electronic means, like text messaging and instant messages.
Am I the only one who cringes over this? Why let it slip into speech? Are we really that lazy or is it trying to be a part of a trend? Maybe this is the proof that I am getting old (my 30th is coming up fast!).
Think about your own creative medium. Do you see any trends cheapening or threatening the integrity of what you do? Are you embracing them or do you scoff and maintain the 'old' ways.
What one finds the norm, another likely will find cheap - I wonder what old time journalists think of blogging? I'm sure it makes their skin crawl. Take a trip through the comment section and let me know what you think. TTYL! (Yes, that was intended as sarcasm.)
Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








13 comments:
Hearing Rachel Ray call extra virgin olive oil - EVOO makes me want to pop her between the eyes.
ROFLOL! That's too damned much! And I love it! :D :D :D Can I watch? Huh? Can I? Can I? (To Rachel: I've got some Extra Virgin for your Olive Oil! ::POP!:: LOL)
I'm a staunch supporter of maintaining the old ways, even when I send my girlfriend an SMS. She does the same, too (probably because of her journalistic training).
I must be old because I don't know what half of that stuff means kwim? HAH! kwim is my least favorite of all, probably because it looks like someone just misspelled my name!
I think these abbreviations are a sad statement on our communication and respect for others. I understand using them in text messages and even in chat rooms (do people use chat rooms anymore) but when the conversation is not limited by technology or is not in real time and typing takes too long, we should craft our words, not necessarily as formal, but definitely as polite and complete.
We spend too much time these days rushing everything. If I can't give you a few extra minutes of my time when writing something, I think I ought not write it at all.
Oh and the LOL and ROFL and OMG don't bug me so much but I think that is because they have been around longer.
I hate Rachel Ray and almost everything she says, so I am in agreement with you on that one. I also think it is ridiculous when people use "text-speak" in real life. I think it just makes them sound stupid.
People are desparate to be cool, even though to me this sounds like the peak of uncool. But hey, I'm definitely not cool to the 'cool" crowd.
the worst part about RR (haha! i threw that in just for you) is that she says "EVOO, extra virgin olive oil". i thought we abreviate so that we don't have to say the whole thing. isn't that the point? maybe it's just me...
I definitely overuse LOL... and sometimes WTF.
Except I've gone to saying Whiskey Tango Foxtrot instead, which might defeat the purpose, but feels less vulgar to me.
I'm trying to remove them from any written communication, but I just can't seem to stop it with the emoticons.
:)
See?
I have to admit - I really HATE reading what people write in "netspeak". An occasional "OMG" or "WTF" or "LOL" is okay, but when they write almost exclusively in that annoying shorthand, I click the little red "x" and close it down.
And I hate Rachel Ray - "EVOO" is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to her. Yuck.
The use of acronym's isn't new, most of the time they are used like words. In the my field we have FASB, IRS, CPE, AICPA...etc. In professional fields these are accepted terms and are seldom said using all the words...Financial Accounting Standards Board for instance....we just know what it means. To me EVOO is an accepted term, it's used in the professional field of cooking.
However saying lol and typing lol are to different things. I have never heard someone say Laugh Out Loud, they just plain laugh. Then there's Leet or L33t speak....that is a whole other story.
Those cell phone commercials with the kids and grandma just make me cringe....
LOL yeah I used to be a better writer until I ran a guild in a video game and used nothing but the slang. Now I "LMAO" and "WTF" (a fave of mine too lol) all over the place :-)
I get lost with all the WTF's etc. which is maybe why I can never text message anyone on a cell phone..:)
Reading my daughter's texts can get a little annoying. k sometimes kk for okay. prolly, thx, ttyl. kewl...And yes Rachel Ray needs to be kicked in the shins. EVOO among others. I hate when she says anything is delish, it just bugs the heck out of me.
Well, as a designer, I remember going into Urban Outfitters (one of my favorite stores)and seeing a lot of the garments with unfinished seams, frayed edges, sloppily put together and the prices were so super high! If I am going to buy something with a frayed, unfinished edge, I want thrift shop prices. So I guess this is how this issue might translate with sewing/designing.
EVOO!!! Gaaaaaa...... I want to pour it down her throat!!! Too funny :)
Post a Comment