Aug 13, 2008

Keep inspiring things close

There aren't many physical things that I feel attached to. To be honest, if we somehow lost everything there are only a handful of items that I might mourn. One is pictured at left; an antique Underwood typewriter.

When I saw it in a junk shop, I had to have it. I don't remember what we paid, but it was more than I had the right to spend on an unnecessary item at the time. It was a hot day and the shops were closing. I was under pressure to decide or let it go. I couldn't walk away from it and hubby somehow understood what I couldn't articulate. He paid the clerk and lugged it back to the car for me.

When I look at it, I can imagine someone labouring away on their writings. What they are working on I don't know but I can understand the force required to pound those keys. The frustration at making a mistake which isn't easily fixed and the desire to keep going regardless.

I've never used it myself. It does work but I can't manage to get my hands on a ribbon. Instead it sits on the corner of my desk - next to where I use my laptop. It is an inspiring object for me; of what has been, what could be and how to get there.

What items do you keep close? Do you have one that inspires you in your craft? Tell me about it in comments.

Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

9 comments:

The Mom said...

I love this post. I know exactly what you mean, few things, but those that do have value for you are so meaningful. For me, it's my great grandmother's rhyming book. and her paintings. She was a writer, poet, artist. She inspires me.

Sex Diaries of a Mom

Anonymous said...

I have my Grandmothers French Bible that she received from her Mom when she was a small child.

meno said...

That is beautiful. Don't ever part with it.

Have you ever seen the jewelery made from the keys of typewriters?

Michelle said...

I love that.. I believe I would have had to walk out with that too!
I have a peice of old ( not very attractive) fabric that came from something that my Aunt made, she inspired me and sparked creativity in me as a child. She passed away a couple of years ago, it just makes me think of her.

Heather said...

The Mom - I had a similar woman in my life who left me her art set. Our families can be so inspirational can't they?

Debateur - that sounds lovely!

Meno - I sure wont. Yes I have seen that and LOVE it!

Michelle - there is something sweet about vintage fabrics isn't there?

Anonymous said...

That Underwood was a perfect-- and even lucky-- machine.

I miss it. Lost it in a house move.

Typed my thesis on it and got an A.

They haven't made a mechanical machine like it since.

Perfect balance, you can set up a rhythm, and it will sometimes refuse to give you a typo withour a warning in your fingers that you have miscued.

Mary Richmond said...

this made me smile because i have my mom's from the 40's that are sort of like this one....and my grandmother's which is even sweeter--from around 1915 i think....

Danielle said...

That is awesome. There are many things that I keep close nwo that I think about it. I'll have to think about that one.

Cy said...

That's very cool! It was sweet of the hubby to just "get it". It's a beautiful piece of the past.