Today's featured mom has stepped outside the interview format (yay!) and composed a post of her own. Mel sells her unique jewelry through her Etsy store and has embraced motherhood and creativity in her life. Enjoy her words and make sure to read the post for instructions on how to win one of her pieces!written by Mel of My Aphrodite
I'd like to say that metal always called to me, but it didn't. I wasn't born with silver in my veins. I got into jewelry because I wanted to spend a spring semester goofing off and I was fortunate enough to attend a liberal arts college that allowed me to do just that. Like most floaty folk-chick types, during my time in college I developed an obsession with the Pre-Raphaelites. Their idealized version of what was truly beautiful was enchanting to me. Plus, I wanted everyone to know that I was a sensitive soul that cherished love and beauty. The truth is, I liked listening to "Jagged Little Pill" over and over, drinking beer, playing naked soccer at 2 in the morning and trying to make time with sensitive theatre boys who had long hair and cried easily.
Jewelry making was just another extension of that pursuit of beauty. But beauty takes time; there was rather a lot of melting in the beginning. And burns. And swearing. And saw bites. And firescale. But little by little over the years, I've got the hang of bending Sterling to my will and coming out with a nice finished product.
Like a lot of new mothers, I struggled with post-partum depression and to me, the worst aspect of it (aside from making me question whether or not I was fit to be a parent in the first place) was the loss of motivation towards any form of creative activity. I didn’t realize how important my artistic endevors were to me until I couldn’t face them anymore. I am tremendously lucky to be blessed with a hugely supportive and caring husband who urged me to take care of myself and do what I had to do in order to be happy. After starting on anti-depressants, I re-discovered my passion for silver working and have been on an unstoppable creative bender ever since. Discovering Etsy has also been the one of the best things that’s ever happened to me creatively. It not only gives me an easy way to peddle my wares, but I feel very accepted in the community and have made some lovely friends along the way.
Finding time to work with a toddler in the house isn’t always easy, but I do manage, during naps and post-bedtime. My work has changed dramatically in the last few months. Before having my daughter, I was obsessed with creating complicated pieces, but since spending time with her and the books that we read over and over, I’ve moved into less complicated but still pleasing shapes; things that she can point to gleefully and identify.My passion for jewelry work was something I never expected but I can’t now imagine being without it.
Mel has offered up this sweet little birdie, a miniature version of her best selling "Potential for Flight" pendant. It's strung on a 16 inch purple leather cord and has amethyst and citrine bead accents. To win - Go check out her shop, her work is truly inspiring! Pick your favorite item, then come back here and tell us what it is in comments. Make sure you leave your email address so we can contact you if you're the winner.Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!








227 comments:
1 – 200 of 227 Newer› Newest»I like Saffron Spray earrings.
Nice items, beautiful work!
bracelets > Sanctuary Bracelet
Sanctuary Bracelet is my favorite
It's a toss up between tending my garden and night pool! (I think those are the names {:-D
Your work is grand! and having a toddler around! Do you get any sleep? hehe
My e-mail: storybeader@gmail.com
They're sooooooooooooo beautiful, it's very hard to choose, but, hmm, ok, I picked "Lothlorian". It' so fantastic!!!
damlakayi (at) yahoo.com
I really like Color Theory (Green) Necklace.
My favorite is the Wildflowers turquoise pendant from Jane Osgood
hands down the Sundance earrings! I love copper!
I also love her story!!
I love the Morning Star Necklace.
She has such beautiful things!
I really love the dragonfly pendant.
kim@accidentalmommies.com
I love this cute gun necklace!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13036409
They are all great, but I love the morning star necklace
smschaefer@wisc.edu
I love all things dragonfly and her Skimming the Surface is beautiful! Thank you!
I absolutely love the sanctuary bracelet!
I like the Claret and Snow Necklace
mimibunny31@gmail.com
I love the simplicity of a lot of her pieces. I really like the cherry blossom pendant quite a bit but my favorite is the planting a white garden ring. Unfortunately, my finger are too big :(
rharris524@yahoo.com
I really like the "Garden under my skin" pendant!
I have an unexplained weakness for dragonflys, so I'm loving the Skimming the Surface pendant. Mel does beautiful work! I recently completed my first metalsmithing class, and I know how much skill, creativity and attention goes into these items. Kudos to her!
I like the Supernova pendant. Thanks. Charlotte
charlottewinters@cox.net
WOW! What a beautiful shop! I can't really choose a favorite, but I love the Queen Mab Necklace!
wylesstyle@yahoo.com
I visited Mel of My Aphrodite's Etsy Store and was pleased to see such unique, unusual handmade jewelry!
My favorite was a bracelet called the "Sanctuary Bracelet" It was beautiful!
The bracelet had beautiful purple hues in this sterling silver creation and were embellished with amethyst, moonstone and freshwater pearls!!
Thanks for the great giveaway!
baileybobby6(at)hotmail(dot)com
Color Theory pendant in green, I have to say it was hard to chose. There are many beautiful pieces to choose from.
fluerdelis2@yahoo.com
I love the "Envy" earrings!
twincere@hotmail.com
I love the color theory necklace in white!
Thanks!
emmarleed[at]hotmail[dot[com]
I like the Bridal Wreath necklace!
cardeb2@verizon.net
I like the White Lotus Pendant- so elegant!
oreo89 [at] gmail [dot] com
It's a close race between Queen Mab and the Friendly Squid but I'd have to pick Friendly Squid as my favorite. Beautiful color and subtle design.
I like the White Lotus Pendant!!
I love the Sugared Violet earrings. So lovely!
cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com
My favorite item is Sugared Violet earrings :) *Thanks* for the giveaway!
ols[dot]moonmaiden[at]gmail[dot]com
Love the White Lotus Pendant. Great design.
gkstratos@yahoo.com
morning star necklace
Fledgling Dreams Necklace is my favorite.
I love the Color Theory (Blue) Necklace. The colors in this is so pretty. Thanks so much for this giveaway.
the morning star necklace is my favorite
Every page I looked at I found a favourite. I finally narrowed it down to Sea Star Pendant.
The total eclipse bracelet is a total eclipse of my heart (you rule bonnie tyler!)
When my eldest daughter (24) was a little girl we always used to sing "there was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead" and when I saw these I loved them "Right In the Middle of Her Forehead Earrings", then I saw their name!!
These make me happy
nancyrobster@gmail.com
Color Theory (Blue) Necklace
My favorite is the skimming the surface dragon fly pendant.
I like the bracelet Here Lie Sleeping Dragons- it's unusual but very pretty!
Imin Illinois and today saw a yellow finch
Imin Illinois and today saw a yellow finch
I love the Friendly Squid, Heading Southbound.
itreallyaddssomething@yahoo.com
All of the pieces are beautiful, but I especially love the "Planting a White Garden" ring. It is so unique!
-Danielle
daniellevmt@comcast.net
I love the Morning Star necklace. Its dainty but would still show itself off nicely.
I love her Envy Earrings!!! OMG! They're awesome!
Thanks for the opportunity to enter!
monica AT mommybrainreports DOT com
Too many faves here: Skimming the Surface (I love Dragonflies), China Red necklace, Fire & Water necklace, I don't think I saw anything that I didn't like!
I love End of the Line Earrings!
I like the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Necklace. Great giveaway, thanks! hellomary018 at yahoo dot com
I like the Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang necklace. =D
mitanari@yahoo.com
I really like the Bridal Wreath Necklace. Very unique.
The Nile Flooded earrings are very beautiful.
My favorite is the Bridal Wreath Necklace. I love daisies/flowers.
=) melanie
www.melaniescrafts.etsy.com
www.melaniescrafts.blogspot.com
melanieadey at hotmail dot com
Saffron Spray earrings
I love the dragon fly necklace!
mom2nji@yahoo.com
all very lovely but I like Free Reign Of My Heart the best!
I like the Sanctuary Bracelet Greens
Friendly Squid, Heading Southbound
Thank you for having this contest. I really appreciate it.
I like the "Circle Game Earrings".
Beautiful jewelry!!!
I love the Traitor's Gate Bracelet. That is really unique looking.
Thank you for a great giveaway!
HunnyV "at" Optonline "dot" net
The" Morning Star" necklace caught my eye.
I like the Total Eclipse Bracelet.
What a wonderful site. She has beautiful metal jewelry creations! There is not a piece on the site that I don't like! Her "Tending the Garden" in one of my favorite necklaces. Please enter me in your delightful drawing for the tiny bird necklace. Many thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com
I love the Edwardian Blues Too Necklace!
kg88451@gmail.com
Lothlorian is lovely
The White Vineyard Earrings are my favorite.
Thank you!
janetfaye (at) gmail (dot) com
I like the Saffron Spray Earrings
tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com
I love the Saffron Spray Earrings! Gorgeous! Thank you!
bunnybx at gmail . com
Tempest in a teapot moonstone pendant takes me back to my beer drinking, hippie chick au naturale days as well. I miss the days when knowing what wearing moonstone meant. The necklace makes me take a deep breath and smile!
I love the Skimming the Surface pendant
Saffron Spray Earrings are precious!
kristilb19@yahoo.com
WOW, what Beautiful jewelry pieces at the Jane Osgood Designs Etsy Shop! My favorite item from there are the Envy Earrings- UK June Challenge! There is something perhaps a bit Celtic About them, I can't quite place what they remind me of, but I was immediately drawn to them, they are stunning!
joannaonthelake[at]gmail.com
I LOVE the Here Lie Sleeping Dragons bracelet. Thanks so much for the opportunity.
planetmisty at gmail dot com
my favorite item is the Saffron Spray Earrings.
krystal82107@hotmail.com
dragonfly pendant is my choice
I love the fledgling necklace. www.kccpets.com click contact
I love the Disky Doo Dah Earrings! The color red she uses is amazing. It's so deep and rich.
I really like the Buzz, Buzz, Buttercup Baby Pendant! Thanks for sharing!
I like the White Lotus Pendant.
color theory necklace is pretty.
joliexox@hotmail.com
My Fave is the "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" Necklace =)
~Nynytran@gmail.com
all of her designs are beautiful and original. if i had to chose, i would say "i'm planting a white garden" ring. and that's unusual for me b/c i'm not a ring person, but it's beautiful!!!
It is really hard to find something nice with a dragonfly on it but she has a great piece called "Skimming the Surface" that is great!
I love the Tending the Garden under my Skin necklace. The Fledgling Dreams necklace is also adorable.
darbiesmommie@yahoo.com
The dragon fly necklace is lovely.
Her items are inspiring indeed!
My favorite is the envy necklace. Love the green!
-Shelly
Shellydelight@gmail.com
http://shellydelight.etsy.com
Fledging Dreams necklace is my favorite item...I love what the description says as well. missesprinces69 at hotmail.com
My favorite is the Sea Star Pendant.
Her stuff is really nice, all of it. I like the Tending the Garden Under My Skin necklace. She is very talented. Thank you for the giveaway!
trisha
momdot.com
I LOVE the Here lie sleeping dragons Bracelet. So beautiful!
Thank you for having this! So many beautiful pieces. I love the Interlude (Coral and Calcedony). So simple and elegant. Thank you!
Color Theory (Red) Necklace is my favorite choice
my favorite is Friendly Squid, Heading Southbound, thanks! yyeres at gmail dot com
The Here Lies Sleeping Dragons bracelet is cute!!
So hard to choose just one, okay how about a toss up? IT would be between Friendly Squid, Heading Southbound and the White Lotus Pendant....
Definitely bookmarking her page for when my toddler goes into nursery school part time and I have some extra money!
Skimming the Surface is my favorite, beautiful. Simply breathtaking.
Gorgeous feature, I love your writing style.
Tending my garden is my favourite :)
Your Sea Star pendant is gorgeous! What a lovely article. Creating with children is both a blessing and a curse! Blessing because they are so inspirational, curse because they leave you with so little time :D
Here Lie Sleeping Dragons bracelet
I love the Tempest in a Teapot Necklace and the Morning Star Necklace
I like the morning star necklace!
I love the bridal wreath necklace! So pretty! jeepcutie82 at msn dot com
I love the Bridal Wreath Necklace
tuesdayef (at)aol
I like the Interlude in Coral and Calcedony. Thanks! uke9000 AT gmail DOT com
The Fledgling necklace is beautiful! Her work is amazing!
My favorite is easily the Wildflowers Turquoise necklace. And I love the little bird she's giving away too. Birds made me smile! Email jennae at greenyourdecor dot com
Great stuff!
I liked Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang. The description made me smile.
I love the Lothlorian necklace. It is so classy and elegant.
Thanks so much for this giveaway!
spottedonetsy at gmail dot com
My favorite is the Fledgling Dreams necklace. I love anything with birds, thanks!
gomeggo[at]gmail[dot]com
I like the white lotus pendant - but it was hard to decide. Its all beautiful - thanks! afdr3d@umkc.edu
Interlude or color theory blue. What creative pieces! Thanks for the chance to win!
cadewill14[at]yahoo[dot]com
I really like the Bridal Wreath Necklace. Her stuff is so pretty! Thanks!!
I like the Here Lie Sleeping Dragons Bracelet
These are beautiful pieces. I like the sanctuary bracelet in green.
I love the Edwardian Blues Too and Bridal Bouquet necklaces!
i like the bridal wreath necklace
I really like the Traitor's Gate bracelet a lot. The color theory necklaces are beautiful too. I really love all the unique names for each piece.
My email is: princessburninghair@cox.net
I really like the Disky Doo Dah Earrings - red.
Sheila
chiliburger@icehouse.net
Buzz, Buzz, Buttercup Baby Pendant
jennifer, jennem22 at yahoo dot com
My fave is the beautiful Tending the Garden Under My Skin.
hetz-junk(at)hotmail(dot)com
My favorite is the elegant Bridal Wreath Necklace. I love mother of pearl jewelry! Thanks!
akblessingsabound[at]gmail.com
Wow! I love so many things!
Here are some of my favorites:
queen mab necklace
tempest in a teapot necklace
through the looking glass necklace
claret and snow necklace
sea star pendant
supernova pendant
I really hope I win!
uh oh. Looks like EVERYBODY loves this!
And rightfully so. Those are absolute treasures indeed. I happen to like
The Temptation of Prosperpine earrings the best.
I may no tbe the queen of the underworld, but I'm the queen of the kitchen. Does that count?
The white lotus pennant is really pretty... I like the color!
ticole96(at)msn(dot)com
Saffron Spray Earrings! Very pretty.
Ah, I like the Sanctuary Bracelet-... beautiful!
jkozole77 at yahoo dot com
Great jewelry!! I love the "Tending the Garden Under My Skin" Necklace! Great giveaway! Thanks for offering!
~Tanya
the4moyers(at)msn(dot)com
My favorite is tending the gardens.
Beatiful jewelries! Tempest in a Teapot Necklace (Garnet) is my choice.
applez_55@Yahoo.com
I love the bridal wreath necklace. It's so pretty.
What a beautiful piece of jewelry! I especially love the skimming the surface necklace. I'm partial to dragonflies.
The Pink Wildflower Pendant is very pretty.
I love this one....She has such beautiful items it was very hard to choose just one. I also love the dragonfly....
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=10281320
calkat_etsy@live.com
Kathy J.
Love myaphrodite's jewellery - my fave is Buzz Buzz Buttercup!
I like skimming the surface. Cost to much for my budget.
I think the China Red necklace is my favorite
I think the China Red necklace is my favorite
I think the China Red necklace is my favorite
Gorgeous jewelery. My favorite is the Wildflowers (turquoise) necklace.
ksieker(at)hotmail(dot)com
Wow! I love the little bird that is for the giveaway!
Other favorites: the Buzz, Buzz, Buttercup Pendant is amazing...I think my son would be excited to see me wearing it, too! (he is 3 1/2). Through the Looking Glass Necklace is so simple and STRIKING, I love it!
Thanks for introducing me to this store!
onlycancan at hotmail dot com
My preference is for the Morning star necklace
I am in love with the Free Reign Of My Heart Necklace. I have never seen something like this before and it is something that I would wear everyday and never want to take it off.
These are gorgous! I love the Monsoon (Day) Necklace.
I love the white lotus pendant.
I LOVE all of her pieces! WOW! I really love the one drop in the ocean earrings though. I wish I could afford some of those beautiful necklaces!
ckbruce@ymail.com
I like the Skimming the Surface dragonfly design. Thanks!
crt4book[at]yahoo[dot]com
I like the Traitor's Gate bracelet best.
"Tending the Garden Under my Skin" caught my eye. It was hard to choose, everything was so beautiful. Thanks.
thundercloudgirl[AT]hotmail[DOT]com
I like the Edwardian Blues Too necklace.
I like the Buzz Buzz Baby Butter and the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
I love the Envy Earrings! These designs are so nifty!
sparkofutterance@hotmail.com
Love the Saffron Spray earrings.
Morning Star necklace, it's beautiful.
Pretty pendant! I also like the Planting A White Garden ring.
-Terra
partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com
The Papyrus Pendant is really neat looking.
missc_melanie@yahoo.com
I like the planting a white garden ring as well as the little brid pendant.
I like the Tempest in Tea pot Opal!
the sleeping dragon earrings...very cool!
My favorite item is the pearl rose pendant. Very pretty jewelry, thanks for the contest!
Planting a white garden is my favorite. It is a ring. Thanks for the giveaway. -Kristina J
gladstone7272@yahoo.com
Oh my goodness! That birdie pendant is so darling! All of her pieces are darling. If I had to choose one right now, I'd take "The Garden Under My Skin" and give it as a gift to my little cousin who just got back from Hawaii. If I could choose something for myself, I would have to choose the "Color Theory (White) Necklace". I like white jewelry and pearls, so it would be the perfect thing.
lilacflowers180 AT yahoo DOT com
This jewelry is so so tempting! I especially love the red Disky Doo Dah earrings.
beccachristensen at hotmail dot com
Buzz, Buzz, Buttercup Baby Pendant is my favorite!
I like the White Lotus Pendant and Lothlorian!
It must be such fun to name these fantastic pieces! I like them all...one that comes to mind though is the Lotus Petal Earrings. They are simple and classical; just lovely.
dlcwin[at]gmail[dot]com
Lovely stuff! The Fire and Water necklace was fantastic!
the China red is so cool
I like the sanctuary bracelet.
the Sanctuary Bracelet Icetwofire[at]aol[dot]com
I love all of the designs - so pretty and elegant. I think my favorite is the buzz buzz buttercup pendant.
Jo x
Incredibly beautiful designs. I marked it as a favorite! I love the Tending the Garden Under My Skin necklace!
doot65{at}comcast[dot]net
Elizabeth
I like the White Lotus Pendant!!
erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net
I think the Wildflowers turquoise pendant from Jane Osgood is beautiful.
I love the Skimming the Surface pendant. Dragonflies are my good luck charm! Thanks for the chance to win your great giveaway!
proudyaya04 {at} yahoo {dot} com
My favorite piece of jewlery is the Queen Mab Necklace. It would look good for evening or daily wear.
the Here Lie Sleeping Dragons Earrings (amethyst) are really pretty!
Wildflower purple pendant. Thanks.
Gingerflower earrings for fall --- lovely.
I love the Interlude (Coral and Calcedony)necklace. The stones are very pretty colors.
I like the monsoon design.
My wife would love the Sundance earrings.
I love the Nile Flooded earrings - very very pretty!
Color Theory (Green) Necklace
There are so many that I really adore but my favorite is the Lotus Petal Earrings.
Color Theory (Red) Necklace
Birdie pendant for my daughter named, Birdie!
ThebigwomanB@aol.com
My favorite item is the Sanctuary Bracelet. Beautiful jewelry!
absolutestacie@yahoo.com
My favorite item is the "Lost In The Woods Earings!" They are so unique and just my style! Thanks For The Giveaway! Cheers!
bwaybabe912@yahoo.com <3
I like the Morning Star Necklace
luckydolls123[at]verizon[dot]net
I love the Skimming the Surface dragonfly pendant - it's beautiful!
stormraven@gmail.com
Mel's jewelry is wonderful! I love the flowers and the bridal wreath necklace is (one of) my favorites. The Lothlorian and Queen Mab necklaces are gorgeous also.
I like the Fledgling Dream Necklace. What can I say? I'm a fan of bird pendants.
My e-mail is ilikewinningstuff@yahoo.com
I like the lotus petal earrings
I really like the Lotus Petal Earrings! Very cute.
I love the Morning Star necklace. It's so pretty!
Skimming the Surface is pretty sweet. I love dragonflies.
Beautiful items! I love the Saffron Spray Earrings! Thanks so much for the giveaway!
i love the Color Theory (Blue) Necklacetcix
Lots of cool stuff! I like the Fledgling Dreams Necklace...too cute!
Post a Comment