Being “unconscious” of one's sources has potential risks and potential benefits. On the risk side, it’s possible to stay so close to the original that you are simply writing pastiche. On the benefit side, being unconscious of influences allows a seamless mix and match of many influences into the blend that makes up true creativity.It's got me thinking about how this carries over to other mediums besides the written word. Singer/Songwriters often speak about their influences and often those artists were the ones their parents listened to. I remember my Dad listening to Elvis, Alice Cooper and some other band
with a song called "Chicken Train" on our 8 track stereo. And my mother had a large country music collection including Alabama, Kenny Rogers and Waylon Jennings. These influences have a large part in what I listen to today and I love that I can trace it all back to those memories.We all know the rich history behind painters and the huge influence they had on visual artists. Many visual artists will rattle off their favorites -Mattise, Picasso, and Cezanne. If you look closely, you can see those influences in their work and they are happy to speak of them. Same goes for photographers.
What about scrapbookers, knitters and crocheters or sewers or jewelers? Where do they find their influences? I would imagine the mothers and grandmothers who taught them their craft had most of that influence when it comes to technique but what about style? Influence can come from many places. What has influenced you and how does that play out in your work? Take a moment to think back to your childhood. What was around you then? Who was around you then? What were your passions, your interests? It is important that we understand what influences us so that we can harness or ignore it - which is what I'll write about in part 2 of this series. Comment about your own work. I'd love to hear about who you see in your craft.
by H.E.Eigler of Maternal Spark
image via wikipedia
Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!








10 comments:
I think you're right. Influences exist in everything, even how we dress or wear our hair. And those early influences are so powerful. I do think there are different age ranges when different things are influenced, such as musical or reading tastes, or style sense. And, of course, we can change later, although it is not usually that easy.
Charles - it would be an interesting study to figure out what ages we are most susceptible to outside influences and in what areas. I would also imagine it would depend what type of learner you are as well.
The same can be said for what ages we are most apt to change. The older I get the more anti change I become - the more comfortable I become with myself and what I like/love.
Always enjoyed art..wanted to be a fashion designer, on to many other things since then..back to art..full circle. It all started with a coloring book and my love for Brenda Starr...
my influences come from my son. everything he does is inspiration to my creativity and i just LOVE sharing him with everyone! i never knew such a young person could have such a profound affect on me and who i am.
When I first started doing jewelry, I was very into the Pre-Raphaelites and wanted to do graceful and intricate jewelry fit for faerietale princesses. Now that I'm older, I'm more attracted to simpler things and enjoy bold shapes that leap out.
Digging deep into the self-evaluation here....
I really have to think harder about this one....
I'm with Kim, I'll have to think harder to answer this question.
Not sure if this fits or not, but I really had a boring life growing up in a small town. Great, loving, normal life. But boring. So I try to encourage (influence) my kids to be more open to different things by attending art galleries, sporting events, flying and train travels, even going to the library and camping were things I didn't do as a kid.
I loved this post about one's inspirations. I have a BA in art history so I always loved the painters you mentioned and then some, i would always try to emulate them in my paintings which was my creative outlet. Then I became interested in writing and got a MA in anthropology becasue i wanted to write about various cultures and their art, which i did for a while. Now that I am sewing, I find that I have melded these two loves. I fell in love with political art, particularly printmaking from Latin America so I now, fabric paint or screenprint iconic images (quite anthropological, maybe) onto reconstructed t-shirts (quite artsy?). I also find that you have to give yourself permission to change your mode of creativity if need be. With two small children, painting (an all of its toxic counterparts) didn't suit me and I had to look at my sewing heritage and draw from that.
I loved this entry about influences. I always loved art. I went to an art High School, I majored in art history in college and painting was my medium of choice. All the great painters influenced me. Then I decided to do a masters in anthropology becasue I was interested in writing about art and culture which I did for a while. i am now sewing drawing from a long family tradition. I am learning to give myself permission to allow myself to be influenced by many things and to experiment with different media.
I have always loved art. I did my B.A. in art history and when I painted, I would try to emulate them When I started sewing I pondered how I could infuse the visual arts in this medium. I realized that I loved printmaking and people/faces and that was it! Thus, my clothing line Nelesc was born
Post a Comment