Sep 19, 2008

Featured Mom - Lisa of Regionz Kidz & Giveaway!

Lisa Smith opened her online endeavor in November of 2007. As she approaches her one year anniversary she's focused on earning repeat sales and expanding into physical retail locations.

H: Tell me about how you got started. What was your inspiration?

L: Regionz Kidz was the result of my quest to find a unique infant and toddler clothing line for my daughter. After visiting a regional gift show and seeing the lack of infant and toddler clothing that was upscale, culturally-diverse and customized for kids, I decided to create my own t-shirt line which has since expanded into organic tank tops, tote bags, educational CD-ROMs and clothing for moms as well.

H: Were you creative before you had children?

L: I wrote and sang but now that I am a mom, I make things based on the wants and needs I have for myself and my daughter. If I can’t find it online or in stores, then I decide to go ahead and make it myself. I can’t be the only one needing or wanting a particular product!

H: Have your methods changed?

L: I have had to balance the creative part of the business with the logistics and follow-through. I still am more proficient at the creative process (marketing, product development, artwork) but am trying to improve on the more technical side of the clothing industry.

H: How do you find time to stay creative?

L: I really have to carve time out in my weekly schedule to sit down and write or even think about how to move forward with my business in out-of-the-box ways. It’s somewhat strange because I am a creative person so “scheduling” time to be creative isn’t always successful but at least it gives me a starting point.

H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?

L: She loves colors and isn’t content with 1 or 2 on a page. She is always telling me, “Mommy, that needs more coloring!” She also pretends a LOT with her toys; she is a veterinarian or animal rescuer on most days but sometimes she is a farmer or a princess of a whole animal kingdom. I love just watching her play with her toys and tell her stories. It’s the best entertainment!

H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art)

L:I have learned that simple things are still the best. I use black and white sketches in my clothing lines because they are simple and back to basic but still have a modern edge.

H: Are you finding success?

L: My lines are being picked up by regional retail outlets and I have a large word-of-mouth following in several of my online communities. Because there are really no other clothing options out in the market that are so diverse, I am filling a large niche and customers return over and over again to make purchases for items they can’t really get anywhere else.

Lisa has generously offered up one of her awesome education CDs to Maternal Sparks readers. All you need to do to enter is visit her store at http://www.regionzkidz.com. Take a browse through the unique items and then come back here. Leave a comment telling us what you loved most. Remember to also leave your email address so we can contact you if you're the lucky winner! Enter to win until Sept 27th.

Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

44 comments:

MOMFOREVERANDEVER said...

Canvas Room Artwork is adorable or should I say super! I really love the matching tees, these are great.

idahomom said...

Very cute stuff/

Unknown said...

I love the educational CD's.

Jenn S. said...

The Flashcards are neat. I like the Matching/Memory Regionz Colorz - English.

moushka said...

The Matching/Memory Shapes in English are great.

Anonymous said...

My favorite item is the organic tote bags. Every since I have discovered reusable bags as a way to help the environment I am in love with all things TOTE! Especially as a means for giving a gift in lieu of a paper gift bag or wrapping paper. All her things are wonderful though!

Thanks!

kim@accidentalmommies.com

Shannon said...

canvas room artwork.

Unknown said...

Great post. I think the CDs are great. I am always looking for something to listen to in the car or in my home for my son.

kygirl said...

Matching Memory Numbers - Spanish
look like a great learning tool.

windycindy said...

Hello! I love their multi cultural site. I especially adore their
"Room Canvas Art!" Please enter me in your delightful educational giveaway drawing. Many thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

judybrittle said...

I really love the flash cards ABC'S
I like the English and Spanish versions. Those are really cute.
judybrittle(at)aol(dot)com

mverno said...

the abc flash cards are great

Mary512 said...

I like the Organic Tote Bags. Love the characters, but my daughter is big for 2 yrs old so unfortunately I don't think the shirts would fit her. Great giveaway, thanks! hellomary018 at yahoo dot com

Unknown said...

Regionz Kidz Tees for Girls are so cute

Miss Spoken said...

Love their tees.
gkstratos@yahoo.com

Jinxy and Me said...

I like the Matching/Memory Regionz Colorz - in Spanish flash cards (actually I like ALL the flash cards!)

Unknown said...

As proud mama to 3 girls - 2 Caucasian and 1 Asian, I loved that you have such adorable designs of both! Your little girls t-shirts with pink sleeves would be perfect!

Sharon said...

Matching/Memory Shapes in English for sure...thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

canvas room artwork

danosor said...

The organic tote bag caught my attention because we are trying to protect our planet in our little way.

kristilb19 said...

Children’s Wooden Growth Charts is my favorite!
kristilb19@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Regionz Kidz Educational Series - Books CD
Our Regionz Kidz Book CD can either be used on the computer to view the books in pdf format, or can be printed and compiled into hard copy books. The CD contains our set of 8 books along with a set... $10.00

Would be my pick!

retellingstories said...

The organic tote bags are great for shopping at my local farmer's market. Thanks for the contest!

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

Organic Tote Bags

littlelatina said...

The Tees are cute

agordon10 said...

I love the Regionz Kidz Educational Series - Books CD

silverbele said...

The organic tote for me

LINDALSHOT said...

Canvas room artwork

Mtlgrl4evr said...

I really like the CD's and flash cards!

justicecw said...

The flashcards look cute...and educational. thanks, justicecw@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Organic tote Bag

theyyyguy@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

The CDs appeal most to me!
lizzauski@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I like the ed. cds, thanks.
erma.hurtt@sbcglobal.net

carissaad said...

I like the Matching/Memory Regionz Colorz - English.

Thanks!

carissaad at aol dot com

Karen said...

I love the matching / memory games :)

Susan W said...

My favorite is Canvas Room Artwork.
Thanks so much!

kathy55439 said...

Matching/Memory Shapes in English

Ilove edu stuff that is fun and where kids can learn threw play

Anonymous said...

Kids and I think the Matching Memory cards are the best. Fun times.

klp1965 said...

i love the 100% organic cotton tote bags with Regionz Kidz sketch

masonsgranny59 said...

I heart the Matching Memory cards !

Becky said...

I love the boys tees. Too freaking awesome!

Thanks for the contest.

Anonymous said...

Matching/Memory Regionz Colorz - English

luckydolls123[at]verizon[dot]net

Donna said...

I like the toddle Tees and the bags.
donna444444@yahoo.com

lilyk said...

I love the Children’s Wooden Growth Chart!