Little H's night light went out awhile ago. We didn't have a replacement bulb. I started to worry. We keep her door closed so the cats don't get up to midnight shenanigans in there - it's REALLY dark once the door is closed.
Would she wake up in the middle of the night and freak out that it was so dark in there?
Would she be traumatized and scared of her room?
Would the entire household be awake for hours causing me to send hubby out in the darkness to search every gas station for bulbs?
Would I be forced to leave the door open and would the cats scratch her through the bars of her crib because her little piggies were a danglin' and that's just too damn much temptation for a cat now isn't it?
Then I realized I was crazy, put her in her crib, shut the door and she was off to sleepy land. It's been a week of darkness and she's just fine (yeah, I'll get a bulb eventually, who has time?). This whole view into my mental instability isn't just for shits and giggles folks - I do have a point here...or more of a question / observation combo:
Does creativity feed the maternal worry causing it to spiral out of control or does becoming a mom, start the worry that feeds the creativity? Which came first? Because, I know I've always been creative but I don't think I've always been crazy. On the other hand, maybe I was always crazy and am just now realizing it?
This post kinda proves that doesn't it. Nevermind! Nothing to see here ;)
Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!
Nov 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








11 comments:
I think this just proves that you might be afraid of the dark yourself!
In fact, I bet your baby sleeps better in the dark! Mine sure does!
Instead of getting another light bulb, think of getting her a Tyke Light. Rechargeable and easy to manipulate for little people, so they can sleep in the dark, but have light when they need it.
LOL, I am a drama queen from way back, but then I have always been creative too. Maybe I am just plain crazy...my hubby seems to think so.
Don't you mean, "Which came first, the pasture-fed chicken or the organic egg?"...a label-obsessed, news-ticker society and cumulative sleep deprivation gives rise to these kinds of questions, for sure!
I have been vexing on the creativity issue--as well as trying to pinpoint the exact moment I became clinically insane, too (was it at my children's conception--or did it grow, like toxic mold?).
I don't know.
I used to thing angst fed my creativity, which would *seem* to indicate motherhood enhances creativity.
Actually, motherhood made me more confident, overall.
And confidence spurs flow and creativity, I think.
I'm a writer and I imagine all kinds of things! And I still creep in to see if my almost two year old is still breathing! There are things you can put on their crib that react to noise or movement, lights turn on and soft sounds. Could you have traded bulbs from elsewhere in the house? Just until today?
I always worried about my son being afraid, but remind myself they spent their first nine months in darkness...
I think most of us get this way when it comes to our kids. We worry over things that are likely no problem at all.
Motherhood definitely brings in the crazy, for sure.
I am definitely more sentimental since becoming a mother, and that has fed my creativeness. Not sure if worry had added anything, other than a few more gray hairs!
sounds like a neurotic moment to me! LOL!
(previous comment removed due to lack of coffee and poor spelling...)
I became insane the very second I conceived. Seriously. lol.
Cute article and our little one (niece who stays with us) LOVES her sparkly blue night light, but sleeps better without it *wink* Now our 14 yo....that's a different story.....o_O
Rose - she does have a glo-worm. Maybe I should put that in with her.
Bee - glad I'm not the only one!
Happy Tomato- toxic mold, yeah, that sounds about right ;)
Amy - that's a good reminder
Charles - seems true
Heather - yes, it sure does!
agibby - oh the grey hairs are another issue all together!
Kelly - yes, I thought of you while I was writing it :)
Jennifer - 14, man, who knew?
Post a Comment