Nov 6, 2008

Featured Mom - Rachel of Sparks (I like her already)

This weeks Featured Mom is Rachel Azulie. I felt an instant connection to her unique jewelry - maybe because she operates under the business name of Sparks. Maybe because her work is just so organic in feel or maybe it's because she is, like most of us, a creative mom.

H: How long have you been doing what you do?

R: I've been making jewellery and crafts since I was a child – my beading obsession developed at age six, when an amazing craft shop opened around the corner (they got all my pocket money!). Early last year, I found my day job – working with digital imagery and colour correction – just wasn't satisfying my creativity. This led to a more serious focus on making jewellery/decorative arts to sell.

H: What do you like to create?

R: Mostly jewellery, though I also love to work with mixed media and create decorative objects and art. For my jewellery, I love to work with semi-precious stones, and my recent discovery of Precious Metal Clay (PMC) has kicked off a whole new obsession!

I particularly love designing and making chokers. I think this feeds the romantic in me! I remember my mother wearing chokers when I was a child (during the 60's/70's) and always thought they looked so beautiful. I use all sorts of ribbons, lace and trims, combined with gemstones and silver – some incorporate antique and vintage textiles that I have been collecting for some time. There are so many ideas still on the drawing board, enough to keep me busy for years!

H: How did you get started?

R: When I started making jewellery last year, I began by sorting through all the beads, findings and other materials I have carried around with me all my life. My first pieces were made from these materials but since then, I have been slowly building up my stock of beads and supplies.

My first sales were to family and friends, some of whom have become my best customers! I sell from home as well as at local craft fairs and hope to begin selling at some craft markets next year when my son starts primary school. That said, I have had some good sales via my Ruby Lane store and I've recently set up an Etsy store to sell the pieces that don't fit Ruby Lane's guidelines. I've found Ruby Lane and Etsy to be very useful as online galleries.

H: Were you creative before you had children?

R: I've always been creative – it's how I relax. Strangely enough, now that I'm a mother, I find that I'm more active about making my ideas and inspirations into reality. Before Rio was born, I would think up all sorts of designs, maybe sketch then out, but quite often would never get around to making them.

H: Have your methods changed?

R: Constantly changing! I love to learn new techniques, work with new materials and most of all, challenge myself. A good example of this is my recent discovery of Precious Metal Clay. I feel like an alchemist when working with this stuff. You start off with what looks like a soft piece of putty – mold, carve and model it, let it air dry and then finally fire it – hey presto, you have a piece of pure silver! Just magic!

Many years ago, I learnt the basics of silversmithing but could never begin to attempt the ideas I had, which were always too complex - with PMC, the possibilities are endless!

H: How do you find time to stay creative?

R: I am extremely lucky to have a very supportive partner, but I always feel there are not enough hours in the day. I've found that getting up earlier in the morning works well, much better than trying to stay up late. I also don't do quite as much housework as I used to!

H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?

R: My son, Rio, is just bursting with creative sparks! He has always had very good fine motor skills and is currently amazing us with his Lego creations. He seems to have inherited all the various creative talents from both sides of the family, as he also possesses incredible rhythm, can sing an album's worth of Beatles songs and takes wonderful photographs with my digital camera – all at age 4!

H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art)

Patience is essential, as is the necessity of not spreading my half-finished creations around the house. I've also learned to let go – my son is incredibly detached from his work which is such a wonderful gift.

Visit Rachel in her Ruby Lane shop or her Etsy shop. You'll be glad you did!

Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Great interview and her jewelry is gorgeous!