Now that it's just us girls let me show you what is wrong with the state of marketing today. Yes, I know this post isn't about creativity but it has to be written or my brain might asplode.
A little background for you. Shopper's Drugmart is, as you might guess, a drugstore. They have a little loyalty program that gets you reward points every time you make a purchase and those points can be used for $ off your purchases...save up enough and you can get $75 of free stuff which is great when you are buying diapers (still) and formula (not anymore). We cashed in a few times and it was fantastic. Now, free stuff doesn't come without a price. They have me on their mailing list and I get a magazine full of ads for makeup - whatever. I also get coupons and stuff from time to time. Whatever. But the other day I got this:

It was a little box. My name was on it (on the other side) plus there was something in it! I had visions of sweet smelling lotion samples, or some kind of hair product. I got excited and missed the subtle hints as to what was inside (I've used arrows to illustrate them for you. Notice the polka dotted ribbon and the red dot in the exclamation mark.
I opened it up and here is what was inside:

The text says "A fitting gift just for you! FREE samples!"
Just what I wanted. Boy, how "fitting". How did they know I was only days away from menstruating?
I don't know about you but I've used the same brand of 'protection' for the last 15 years. A free sample isn't going to change that. The only time a woman deviates from her 'usual' is if she's out in public and discovers an unfortunate surprise. She runs to the washroom only to find her purse stock is gone. She might then, take whatever is in her girlfriends purse because it's better than praying to the lord that your quarter is accepted in one of those machines on the wall (it never is.)
So, Kotex and Shoppers Drug Mart, you've wasted your money. Your little pads disguised as presents thing won't convert masses of women to the Kotex side. It will however, make us blog about how stupid an idea it was. If you want to increase your sales, get online and use some new media. And that blog you have going where you talk to teen girls about peer pressure doesn't count. We don't want to have 'happy periods' (another brand, I know) we want to complain about it as much as we can. We want to align ourselves with the brand that says - "Aw man, the witch is visiting? Here's some chocolate." Maybe you should have sent me some of that and I'd be in a different mood right about now.
So girls, what should I do with this Kotex sample? Suggestions?
Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!








15 comments:
Donate them to a local Junior High or High School nurse. They love it, for those girls that oops....yeah, it happens.
Stick it on top of a restroom machine and re-gift it to someone who really needs it yet doesn't have a quarter on them!
Donate it, and any other samples you don't want, to a women's shelter or the like. I have a bag that I throw all kinds of freebies into for just that purpose!
Personally, I'd just use it myself. I wouldn't necessarily buy it because of the sample, but what the heck, it's there, it's free....and maybe I WILL really like it! Stranger things have happened!
I got that in the mail. It wasn't as pretty, just in a bag. I admit, I'm not as generous as your other commenters and just threw them in the trash! I'm sorry, Kotex, but I associate you with vending machine pads. You don't work. I need wings.
I got that too! From Wal-Mart I think....
Anyway, I thought the box was cute and thought maybe there were coffee or hot chocolate samples. Something holiday oriented since the box looked like a present. I've gotten Starbucks coffee samples from Wal-Mart before.
As you can imagine, I was a bit disappointed with what I found inside. In fact, my husband was there and I said "this is stupid, what kind of GIFT is this?" My husband then said, "what, feminine plumbing products aren't on your Christmas list?" He's so full of tact and compassion.
Boy, I guess I should have blogged about eh? Looks like you beat me to it!
okay, that is too funny. i guess now after reading these comments i will start donating samples like this rather than trashing them.
Ha. I go online to mysavings.com and they have all the free samples you can sign up for. I got about 3 of those. So sad when you see a potential present and it turns out to be a sanitary napkin...
so funny!! I'm usually pretty green-minded, but I'd just chuck that kotex. Not worth ruining clothing over. dressing up a kotex with a bow in a cute little gift box doesn't make it work!
thanks for the chuckle :)
You are just too funny! I read a couple of your posts and they had me cracking up. Thanks for brightening my day. :o)
Must be the week to blog about AF issues! I'm so hard up for mailed gifts, for a minute there I was actually jealous.
I get those now and again, but I use that particular brand. Funny thing is when I moved to Canada for 3 years, my mom had to bring it as they didn't sell it there. I would have been grateful had they sent it to me!
Hilarious post!!
Very funny and very relevant! Also, very mean to tease you with that packaging. I agree with the other posters: toss it in a bag to donate to a women's shelter. And to the poster that got starbucks samples in the mail - where do I sign up for THAT program?! :-)
That's funny. I would donate it to a women's shelter or somewhere else. BTW I have an award for you on my blog! http://sweetnsassygirls.blogspot.com/2008/10/more-awards.html
i got one too. i use kotex b/c they're cheap but i whole heartedly agree with everything you said. i want to bitch and moan about every ailment that comes with my period. i don't want to be happy, darn it! i want to be miserable and i want everyone else to be miserable for me!!!
here's something that is "fitting": my word verification for this coment is "ranter". :)
Too funny! Obviously marketed by men! Before reading all of the comments, I was going to say toss it. I never thought to donate them! Just get rid of it and go buy some chocolate!
Post a Comment