Read about the Meme.
It's quiet in the insulated way the snow brings. I know it's out there before I even rise and make my way to the window. Parting the curtains reveals a white and foreign landscape. It's fresh. Clean.Today a piece of writing was inspired by the snow. I don't really know what it is, it's sort of 'stream of consciousness' I guess. Just a little bit that trickled down from my mind and though my fingers to the keys. An observation about how when everything seems pure, there is always a touch of the sinister around. Did you know squirrels sometimes eat baby birds?
The icy sheath hides the dirt and dead plants away, hides anything that isn't pure.
All is white but one black squirrel in the center of it all.
The squirrel is digging frantically down to the grass and then through to the earth. It's burying treasure while the dirt will still move. Down goes the bits stolen from bird feeders and brazenly pilfered from outside cat dishes. Peanuts, sunflower seeds and kibble become packed into a musty treasure chest, ready for a later meal.
He works to conceal these pockets of nourishment. He plans for enough to last through to when the snow becomes damp, and the buds form on the trees, and the grass begins to sprout. He plans for enough to last until the nests are filled with eggs and sweet, tender chicks. Until then, he remains busy. Until then, thievery and frozen cat food will have to do and he sits, punctuation in the white, until his job is done.
The snow was my muse, what's yours? Leave your link below to share.
Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!
![Reblog this post [with Zemanta]](http://img.zemanta.com/reblog_e.png?x-id=e669633b-5dae-4353-b45c-a7ec4241cfa9)








7 comments:
I like it.
Just need a bit of copyediting.
In your first stanza: I think I'd go,
It's quiet, insular. The way it is when the snow comes.
I know the snow is out there before I even rise to make my way to the window...
(But mothers are busy. Not time to steam the copy). :)
Cheers.
Enjoyed your snow! I grew up with it but haven't seen any for many years.
Today's muse for me was a butterfly & I've been inspired to post a drawing for 1 customized butterfly necklace
I love when things like that inspire me to write some prose or poetry... or even the random thoughts. It speaks a lot about our ability to stop and notice beauty in the world despite what's going on around us. You reminded me that I haven't done that in awhile.
Have a good week.
No snow down this way to inspire me, but cold weather does it for me. I feel the urge to write when the leaves begin to fall.
ooops...put an old link in mr. linky so had to add the right one. sorry about that! we don't have snow here, but we have LOTS of squirrels. They love our walnut tree.
I did know that about squirrels, and it makes me like them less.
We had a lovely snow this past weekend, too. I am looking forward to more of them. :)
I wish the snow would come here! They've been teasing us--telling us to get ready. But, it never arrived. I guess I have a whole winter to enjoy it!
Found you via twitter. I'm @sra_nelson
Post a Comment