Jan 1, 2009

From the Creative Moms

There's been a little issue with this weeks Featured Mom - nothing big, just a wee postponement. Not to worry though, because I've received many, many responses to my call for submissions. So many incredible moms have contacted me to share their stories and there are just too many to be able to post them all in detail. I thought I would pick and choose some snippets so I can share as much as possible - they are all inspiring and I hope you enjoy these pearls of creative wisdom:


"I always tell my now-teenage daughters, "If you try something and it terrifies you, that means you're growing because you're being stretched to the limit." I"ve been stretched a lot by life experiences - both good and bad - and so far, I haven't broken."

~ Linda Lowen, writer, guide to woman's issues for About.com

"I think in this day when computer games rule, it is so important to give children the opportunity to create, to make a mess, to try something new and even if it doesn't come out well, to make the effort."

~Kristen Weaver, Mom and Dance Teacher

“I am always inspired by the creativity of my children, the freedom they allow themselves to invent and willingness to be foolish. I remind myself to be playful, and try to bring fun into the workplace, to promote the happiness of our staff and to help keep us all inspired.”

~ Olivia Teter, Co-Founder and Chief Creative Officer, Vetrazzo®

"Some things we make stink, but we don't care. We just make something else... I just love to make stuff and it's not really important that I'm any good at it, it's the joy I get from the process. "

~
Sherri Arnaiz, mom, speaking about time spent with her daughter, Deziree, being creative.

"I can't think of any mom I know who isn't creative -- there are the ones who knit Afghans in one sitting or make table centerpieces out of cereal boxes, or the ones who invent countless ways to get their kids to eat their vegetables. And when our kids are small and we're pulling our hair out, crying in the bathroom, we come up with all kinds of things to get us through the day."

~Dina Santorelli, Editor and Publisher of www.workhomeyou.com


Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Thanks for sharing these snip-its. I've found that creativity is an innate gift all mothers receive upon childbirth. Once you're a mom, there are so much uncharted territory to cover that you HAVE to creatively find ways to get through it all! :)

Keely said...

I love the last quote because it's absolutely true. Even if it doesn't feel like that some days.

Anonymous said...

Me too- Dina's quote is great. I hear people say "I'm not creative" but they just mean that they don't do artsy things - there are so many forms of creativity!