Aug 15, 2008

Featured Mom - Mel of My Aphrodite & Giveaway!

Today's featured mom has stepped outside the interview format (yay!) and composed a post of her own. Mel sells her unique jewelry through her Etsy store and has embraced motherhood and creativity in her life. Enjoy her words and make sure to read the post for instructions on how to win one of her pieces!

written by Mel of My Aphrodite

I'd like to say that metal always called to me, but it didn't. I wasn't born with silver in my veins. I got into jewelry because I wanted to spend a spring semester goofing off and I was fortunate enough to attend a liberal arts college that allowed me to do just that. Like most floaty folk-chick types, during my time in college I developed an obsession with the Pre-Raphaelites. Their idealized version of what was truly beautiful was enchanting to me. Plus, I wanted everyone to know that I was a sensitive soul that cherished love and beauty. The truth is, I liked listening to "Jagged Little Pill" over and over, drinking beer, playing naked soccer at 2 in the morning and trying to make time with sensitive theatre boys who had long hair and cried easily.

Jewelry making was just another extension of that pursuit of beauty. But beauty takes time; there was rather a lot of melting in the beginning. And burns. And swearing. And saw bites. And firescale. But little by little over the years, I've got the hang of bending Sterling to my will and coming out with a nice finished product.

Like a lot of new mothers, I struggled with post-partum depression and to me, the worst aspect of it (aside from making me question whether or not I was fit to be a parent in the first place) was the loss of motivation towards any form of creative activity. I didn’t realize how important my artistic endevors were to me until I couldn’t face them anymore. I am tremendously lucky to be blessed with a hugely supportive and caring husband who urged me to take care of myself and do what I had to do in order to be happy. After starting on anti-depressants, I re-discovered my passion for silver working and have been on an unstoppable creative bender ever since. Discovering Etsy has also been the one of the best things that’s ever happened to me creatively. It not only gives me an easy way to peddle my wares, but I feel very accepted in the community and have made some lovely friends along the way.

Finding time to work with a toddler in the house isn’t always easy, but I do manage, during naps and post-bedtime. My work has changed dramatically in the last few months. Before having my daughter, I was obsessed with creating complicated pieces, but since spending time with her and the books that we read over and over, I’ve moved into less complicated but still pleasing shapes; things that she can point to gleefully and identify.My passion for jewelry work was something I never expected but I can’t now imagine being without it.

Mel has offered up this sweet little birdie, a miniature version of her best selling "Potential for Flight" pendant. It's strung on a 16 inch purple leather cord and has amethyst and citrine bead accents. To win - Go check out her shop, her work is truly inspiring! Pick your favorite item, then come back here and tell us what it is in comments. Make sure you leave your email address so we can contact you if you're the winner.


Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

227 comments:

«Oldest   ‹Older   201 – 227 of 227
Anonymous said...

I like The Garden Under My Skin! It ia not pretty only. This wonderful reminder during any season about summer, its flowers and berries!

Lyudmila
lusizova@rambler(dot)ru

Lori said...

I dig the fledgling dreams necklace-- I really love her birds!

lkziegler(at)gmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

I love the Wildflowers (turquoise)!
This miniature version of "Garden Beneath my Skin" is crafted in matte polished Sterling silver with dyed mother of pearl and amber bead accents.

iaspirant@yandex.ru

Anonymous said...

I like the Sea Star Pendant! It reminds of the sea and makes intensivness for blue color of eyes!

maysoed(at)mail(dot)ru

Xenia said...

I think the Potential For Flight Baby is my favorite, but if I have to pick another, I also really like the Fledgling Dreams Necklace. They're both just adorable!

Thanks for the giveaway!
xpsundell(at)gmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

The White Lotus Pendant is my favorite! This beautiful and luminous pendant is hand crafted in Sterling silver with Rainbow moonstone cabochon and Freshwater pearl accent.

Thanks!
kuda1976(at)mail(dot)ru

Anonymous said...

Cool stuff! I like The Garden Under My Skin!

Lanua(at)list(dot)ru

Valerie said...

Oooh, I like the "Tending the Garden Under My Skin" necklace - so pretty!

Anonymous said...

The End of the Line Earrings are very creative.

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

I really like the Tending My Garden under my skin necklace...

Cool!

Thanks for the chance...

LBSGONE said...

Friendly Squid, Heading Southbound is my very favorite!!.
cherylfrancisco@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Sea Star Pendant, living far from the sea but dreaming of it..
angie k tisaynababaeatyahoo.com

rlgrady said...

The Morning Star necklace

Wendy said...

well, it's either Tending the Garden under my Skin or Free Reign of My Heart and I think.....Tending the Garden just edges it - love all of it Mel, hope to see you soon!!!

Wendy

memetu said...

Here Lie Sleeping Dragons Bracelet reminds me of a very special someone.

Nuggets said...

the nile flooded earrings

Zippy said...

I have been looking for a dragonfly pendant for the longest time. That being said "Skimming the Surface" is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely floored by the response to this giveaway! Thanks so much for all of the interest! :)

Izzie said...

I adore the Purple Garden Ring, as I am really a flower child at heart!

Anonymous said...

Saffron Spray Earrings are my favorite. garrettsambo@aol.com

Donna said...

I like Saffron Spray earrings

Bakersdozen said...

I loved many of the items, including the "Monsoon" necklace. vidomich(at)yahoo(dot)com

Erica G said...

I like the Free Reign Of My Heart pendant.

Rockin' Mama said...

I like the Claret and Snow Necklace!

jasonncaryn at yahoo dot com
http://rockinmama.net

lilyk said...

I love the Fledgling Dreams Necklace!

Sara G said...

Love the fledgling dream necklace, so pretty!

Design Lab 443 said...

Very nice work and nice photos!!!
I would suggest also showing a photo someone wearing the pendants so the buyers can get a feel for the size.
My fav. is your Buzz, Buzz, Buttercup Pendant.

:) Tracy
TRACY338111@SBCGLOBAL.NET

«Oldest ‹Older   201 – 227 of 227   Newer› Newest»