Sep 4, 2008

Featured Mom - Stephanie of CurlyQCuties.com

Holy crap I'm posting this late today. Please forgive me and don't hold it against our Featured Mom for this week. Stephanie makes super cute plush monsters. Have a read about how she's branched out to her own business though a love for her arts.

H: How long have you been doing what you do?


S: I’ve been sewing for about 9 years. I started out as a quilter. I worked my way from traditional quilts to free- form art quilts. I also was making toys for my children during this time. They mostly consisted of balls and blocks. Then I moved onto plush creations. I’ve been selling my monsters since January of this year.


H: What do you like to create?


S: I love to create plush monsters. I get a thrill each time a new one comes out more funky or fun than the design before it. I love that anything is possible when you have a vision.



H: How did you get started? Are you finding success?


S: After getting lots of positive feedback from friends and family, I decided to open an Etsy shop to see if the outside world would buy them. And they do! I think I’m off to a pretty good start. I have pretty regular sales. I can’t complain.


H: Were you creative before you had children?


S: I’ve always been creative and dabbled in all kinds of mediums. I have a whole closet full of all kinds of crafts and hobbies that I have worked on in the past…drawing, painting, jewelry making, scrapbooking, photography, just to name a few.


H: Have your methods changed?


S: I’ve become more free form. I make my own patterns and love the freedom that it allows. Anything goes! I still use a lot of quilting techniques in my sewing.


H: How do you find time to stay creative?


S: I create in the evening once my children are in bed. I find that I really don’t have time during the day since my two youngest are home with me all day.


H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?


S: My middle child shows lots of creative spirit. He draws really well for a child his age and is quite theatrical. My oldest doesn’t enjoy crafts at all and my youngest is still too young for me to see if he has a creative spirit yet.


H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art)


S: I have learned to roll with the punches and to expect the unexpected. Every day is new adventure with children and with my art.


Stephanie has recently opened a new home for her monsters and you can visit them at

www.curlyqcuties.com Her new website offers a Design Your Own option so that you can create your own one of a kind monster. There are over 4.3 million unique possibilities. It's incredibly fun to play around with all the different features. Check it out!