Sep 7, 2008

Monday Muse-ings Meme - The debut edition

I thought it would be fun to post something that inspires me every Monday. Something that when I look at it, or read it, I feel all warm and fuzzy and excited to let my mind play in the creative park. Something that awakens the muse.

It will be a virtual version of that inspiration board I wrote about the other day. Join in if you like and I'll link back to you. I'm not in love with the name so if you have a better idea let me know.

I'll start the ball rolling with this picture:



Some of you might remember this image as I've posted it around the net before. This is the image that inspired my flash piece Burning Birds. I wrote it after I'd found out I was pregnant. I thought I'd share it today as it's one of my favorite pieces. I hope you like it too :)

Burning Birds
by
H.E.Eigler

I was split years ago. I don’t feel the pain anymore but sometimes I awaken from a dream to the smell; the smell of burning from deep inside myself. It was lightning that hit me, split me and I’ve not been the same. Not really.

The surface wounds have healed and the moss holds me together. Most days I don’t even notice that my innermost self is out on display for the world to see. Most days I can feel like I used to. Quiet, reserved, stately – what a tree should be. But recently, there has been activity down in the crevice.

There is now life where the burning used to be. Birds. They’ve nested inside and I can feel their wings flutter. At first I was anxious about their presence. I would worry there wasn’t enough room for them, that I couldn’t provide what they needed. But now I wonder if I will miss them when they are gone. When it is just me and the moss and the quiet will they think of me as home?

Until then, I wait and feel them with me. I listen to their songs and cherish the company because even in a forest, life as a tree is lonely. I used to think it was what I wanted. Solitude. But since the birds came, I know I want more.

Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I remember that pic. Such great character in that tree.

rockcreekcreations said...

What an inspiring story! And thento see the photo, it ties it all together.

The Mom said...

That's beautiful Heather! Very deep. Sounds like motherhood. And, life.

Sex Diaries of a Mom

The Mom said...

Heather, I wanted to let you know how much your blog rocks! So I gave you a Your Blog Rocks Award at my site. Love it. ;)

Sex Diaries of a Mom

Nell Escalante said...

What a beautiful piece. I love it. Thanks for posting it.