Today's featured Mom is Jen from BabyCheeks. She designs and creates practical, fun fashion accessories and clothing for babies and toddlers. With a balanced family of one boy and one girl, she finds inspiration for a well rounded outlook.H: Tell me about what you do.
J: My product line consists of reversible bibs, burp clothes, binky clips, blankies, onesies and toddler T's and recently added--embellished baby and toddler jeans. Since I'm lucky enough to have a boy and a girl of my own, they serve as the inspiration for my boys, girls and unisex collections.
H: Tell me about how you got started.
J: I’m not one of those I’ve-been-sewing-since-my-
I’ve always been creative and crafty, so I said to myself, “how hard can it be to make?” I was determined to do it. I used all of my Christmas gift cards I had and bought a pattern, a sewing machine, a book on sewing, some buttons, interfacing and fabric and the rest was history. It wasn’t easy at first and my husband and friends thought I was crazy, but my mom said it was “in the blood.” She was right.
H: Are you finding success?
J: I surpassed my goals for my first month in business and am pleased with my progress so far. Now the challenge is to exceed that!
H: Were you creative before you had children?
J: Yes. I've done everything from writing, painting murals, drawing cartoons and creating custom greeting cards. All of it was always on the side though. Other than my job developing and designing baby products for a big, national baby products company, I've always been in the corporate marketing world and have needed some sort of creative outlet to supplement it.
H: Have your methods changed?
J: Yes. Occasionally I still paint a mural or two (for friends and family), but most of my creative time is dedicated to sewing.
H: How do you find time to stay creative?
J: I work part time in my husband's law practice, have two small children under 4 and a house to take care of. I have to get creative about getting creative! Most of my creative time is after 10:00 at night, when everyone is in bed. Sometimes I get the chance to do a few things during nap time as well.
H: Do your kids show any creative spirit?
J: My four year old son loves "arts and crafts" as he calls it. He makes these stick monsters with big googly eyes that are just hysterical. My daughter is only one, so time will tell. She certainly finds creative ways to get into things she shouldn't!
H: What have you learned after having your kids (in relation to your art)?
J: I have learned that it's never too late to pick up a new craft and with patience and persistence, you can teach yourself just about anything. If it weren't for my daughter, I never would have even thought of learning to sew. She was my inspiration!
Take a browse through all the cute things Jen has been working on. I'm sure you'll find something t to tickle your sense of whimsy! http://www.babycheeks.etsy.com Thanks so much for joining me at Maternal Spark, I've really enjoyed having you!
Like this post? Subscribe and never miss a spark!








1 comment:
Those are so neat and cute. Wish I could make time for something creative to make money.
Oh and Heddy....tag!! Check out my blog for details.
Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment